Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
May digital dockwalk
junior
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:02 PM

Hmm....must be a mistake or a quote out of context in the digital dockwalk issue on sailing safety... How can it be that on one hand yacht designer Ed Dubois, a participant in the Safety in Yacht Design Symposium, is telling us that his companies desire is to make sailing mega yachts safe with quotes like .... "this is a very safe sport and I want to keep it that way " Then when describing the injury to rigger Macdonald, Dubois states .... " The jib sheet, WE THINK, parted ...and threw MacDonald into the air " WE THINK The Jib sheet parted ?????? Is this a misquote or.... Well.... Ed, did the jib sheet part ? Did you have a jib sheet that returned to the dock in two pieces ? Did the clew part ? Did the winch fail ? Did the shackle open ? Was it a scantling problem ? Is the cause of this accident proprietary knowledge ? Lawyers ??? Hmmmmm.........Well Ed ???? you designed it, tell us because as you stated " Clearly it cannot be allowed to happen again " !!!!!!! And Dockwalk, your statement " a Freak accident" is impossible to justify. Did a lightning bolt strike that poor fellow ? Also the tone of the article is much to heavy on Bravado statements like... Big, powerful, Deadly weapon, my crew are seasoned veterans, we sail with skilled pros and the importance of training.... Jeeez !!!!sounds like any minute one of those guys is going to either ask for an even bigger boat, a pay raise or retire and open yet another sea school to sell superyacht training. Dockwalk, When you interview for an article why not ask specific questions so that your readers, who are just starting out in the game with the intention of becoming professional BIG GUYS, can pickup on professional BIG GUY techniques ??? I suggest that you continue your interview with Mega yacht sailing captains by recontacting each of those skippers in your article and asking them...What means of communication among the crew on deck, the crew boss and the helmsman do you use ???...I don't mean English French German...I mean hand signals, eye contact, chain of command discipline over 40 meters of deck and standardized maneuver commands so that every crew knows the call . A recent accident on the big boats was caused by a communication problem between veteran pros.. Always the greatest challenge when running a jumbo crew is communicating to everyone on deck with virtually no, concentration breaking, spoken words.
murf
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 4:06 PM

Haven't read the article in Dockwalk yet, but I would be interested in an article on communication like junior proposes.

Average 0 out of 5