Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Question about the modul G.S.K for the OOWW
Manolo
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:14 PM

Hello, i did the GSK course exam in february and i fail with a 57%(you need 60%)i asked to the school for a review but the told me just i i have 59 or 60% they do another review...I did the exam again in April and i had 61% but they did me a review and they lowed to 57% my question is:Why they did a review if i passed with 61%!!!!!!is that right?the school told me because is very close to the 60%,and what?i passed witth 61%!!!!i sent am e-mail to MCA but still no answer.Thanks
Henning
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 8:38 AM

60% is a passing grade these days? Yeesh...that doesn't say anything good about MCA. Regardless though how do they score it, and more importantly, how much do they charge you each time you take the test? 61% is not a very good score, and if there are essay answers, there may have been some language issues if you took the test in English and there is a bit of arbitrariness to grading as you may have the correct knowledge, just not the correct way to express it in written English. How one person can score you 61% and another 57%, I'm not sure, that's part of the problem with scoring essay answers. If it was a multiple choice test, the scoring is much easier and only the person who wrote the test and the key has to have any knowledge of the subject matter and only you need to understand the test. With essay answers, the person scoring not only needs knowledge, but needs to also understand your explanation.

Bluewater
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 12:30 PM

For almost all official examinations there is a 'remark zone' a few percentage points above and below the pass mark where the papers have to go to a moderator to verify the pass or fail. This is in the interest of academic consistency. Sorry Manolo...you just have to take it again! Come and see me if you want some advice about this. John Wyborn Bluewater.
jack a
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 11:21 AM

Henning...60% is the pass mark for many commercial modules as well, including 3/4 of the commercial Deck Officer AMSA exams (Australia).
Stuart
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 5:00 AM

Henning, written answers give you a far better idea of a students knowledge and ability to communicate than "monkey puzzle" type exams. The name says it all.
Henning
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 9:55 AM

I'm not saying essay answers are a bad thing, I was just pointing out that if one is taking a test in a language one is not proficient in, there is extra room for interpretation error as well as lack of vocabulary when writing the answer and misunderstanding by the person scoring the answer. If I had to take a test in Spanish, I might pass a multiple choice, but there's no way in hell I could pass an essay. Doesn't change my knowledge of the subject any, just how I can relay my knowledge.

Henning
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 10:12 AM

jack a wrote:
Henning...60% is the pass mark for many commercial modules as well, including 3/4 of the commercial Deck Officer AMSA exams (Australia).

In my entire life from grade school on, I had never seen 60% be a passing score. All the tests I've taken for the FAA and USCG required a 70% except for the ROR modules of the USCG tests which require a 90% to pass.

Average 0 out of 5