Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
crew houses in newport, ri
haleyd79
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:03 PM

hey everyone! I brand new to the industry, and I'm still in Indiana. I was hoping to be down to Fort Lauderdale by before May but it looks like that isn't going to happen. I don't want to wait until the fall to go down there, as I want to start this new chapter of my life as soon as I can! I've been told that Newport is the place to be through the summer, so I did some checking and can't seem to find anything on crew houses in Newport. Does anyone have any information they can give me?? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

14Freedom
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:58 PM

Hey haleyd79,
Don't let the name put you off...The Seamen's Church Institute is the place to go. Inexpensive, clean, extremely helpful staff, on the waterfront within walking distance of everything and it's mission is to help those who work on the sea. They even have a restaurant on site and a great place to network.
They are on the web, just Google the name.
ATB-
The Slacker

haleyd79
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:53 PM

oh wow, great! thank you! i'm going to google it right now!!!
Henning
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 4:17 AM

I take it you're listed with all the major crew agencies, you might give them a call and check in, most of them have a Newport office and may be able to give you some options as well.

junior
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 9:07 AM

Whoa! Seaman's Institute...good choice if they have space. Newport is expensive and its been a few years since Ive been there. The shipyards have accommodation listings for refit yachts. International Yacht restoration school had a bulletin board for student accommodation .also swing by Newport Community College they also had an accommodation bulletin board for students . In the past the nice places to stay were with private families with a room to rent.
Anita Warwick
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 11:03 PM

The Newport Spring Charter Show is June 22 - June 25 this year.  Might be a good time to be there and mingle.  Bicycle is a good way to get around Newport.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:35 PM

There's a good site for crew houses all over the world.

http://allamericancrewhouses.webs.com

it also has lots of tips for yachties.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:40 PM

sorry I gave the wrong address for crewhouses

http://americancrewhouses.webs.com

Greg James
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 6:49 PM

The best crew house in town is the birdhouse (formally Rosies) contact us at thebirdhousenewport@yahoo.com
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:26 AM
It's way to expensive! Try the BirdsHouse cause they are actually a crew house. Good luck

Average 2.5 out of 5