Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Ensenada Gran Pininsula Shipyard and accommodation
BjornDB
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:27 PM

The 60m yacht I'm on is going to Ensenada for a paint job at the end of this year. We are bringing in our own painters but a lot of mechanical work and carpentry will be done by the yard. Has anyone been here and could you tell me the quality of work they deliver? Also we are looking for crew accommodation in the area. What are we looking at spending and what is available in that area? Thanks guys!

conrad bagley boat services
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 3:34 AM

Hi .I spent five months at the Baja Naval boat yard in 2005 in Ensenada. I think the yard that your going into is the same company. The paint work was great, the wood work was great. The rate of pay for work was $18.ph (it was 05 though) we the crew lived on board. But I did stay at the Carona hotel now and again, the price was reasonable and a good location. Watch out for the beggers on the streets, there Mafia controald. Buy your fish from the fish market, it's fresh and cheap. We injoyed Ensenada, It's a friendly place. Regards . Conrad Bagley
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 8:42 AM
cant speak for the qaulity of work, but i spent about a week there on a white boat not long ago hiding from bad weather. just take plenty of $ for paying bribes to the customs/immigration office. They accused us of all kinds of ridiculous things when we tried to clear out. It all came down to cash.Tall fella with a moustache, nasty piece of work.
Capt. Rob
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 7:08 PM

Bjorn,

Ensenada is a fun town and the shipyard does excellent work.  Good crew hotels are the Costa Baja or the San Nicolas resort back in town which is actually my favorite.  Google Ensenada Hotels.  You don't pay bribes or get screwed at all here if you have half a brain right?  Call the owner of the yard and have HIM get an Agent for you.  That way there is some accountability.  You should not pay anybody anything except the agent or the yard.  The fees are minimal and the Port Captain, Immigracion and Customs are all together in one room now!  There you get your Visas (Tourist Cards) for $20US each and then you get your Temporary Import Permit (reccomended for importing parts from the States or elsewhere duty free).  That permit is maybe $55US these days.  Then you show your Zarpe or other clearance to the Port Captain and get your crew list stamped and signed and then turn arouns and say hello to the Customs man, declare nothing and you are on your way.  Usually an hour.  Easy.  Also the people of Ensenada are very freindly and problems are very very rare.  Basically its like anywhere in the world right?  Be nice to them and they will be nice to you.  Speak Spanish and you are golden!  Hussongs for a Cerveza is a must!  Drive South to the Valle de Guadalupe which is the wine grape growing area.  Visit Domecq and enjoy!

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 8:10 PM
Just left the yard in November on 170' steel hull.  We lived on board and worked with the yard very well.  They were professional and friendly.  Thomas brews a great beer too.  If you get the opportunity take some old clothes to donate and be distributed to needy family's in the area, please do so.  We actually had a paint problem but the yard was so quick to work out a solution and do the actual fix that it's worth mentioning just to point out there quick response and professional approach.  I highly recommend them.

Captain Mark Drewelow - C2C inc San Diego
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 6:43 AM

Be aware of the requirements for controlled nationalities in Mexico. South African, some Eastern Europe nations, some Asian nations, and a few others, need visas in advance of arriving in Mexico.

Average 0 out of 5