Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
your opinion helps my venting process
Chef JK
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 12:46 PM

Here's the deal....I have been in yachting, as a chef, for more than 14 years. I went back to land twice as a chef for private families. I have been back on yachts for the past year. All I have found is freelance jobs. I am currently on a 50m Feadship, crew and owners love my food...but here's the deal. The full-time chef is on a 4 month holiday. During the only busy season! It is a private boat and the owners only come on two week-long trips in the summer. He has only been on board 1 1/2 years. On top of that....the chief stew has put me in the smallest bunk. what say you?
junior
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 1:25 PM

Dont know what to say about the small bunk, but a 4 month holiday for any crew is odd. Health or personal problems can be the only reason. If it is indeed a true 4 month holiday on the beach you re working for a generous owner, a weak captain and an undermotivated chef. . I cant image working minus a prime crew for 4 months or throwing the owners money away on a temp crew for that period. Temp crew can never fill in for a prime crew. Sounds fishy.....
Chef JK
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 1:32 PM

like the feedback...thats what I thought. bunk...your right...I'm not one to wine about that..which I haven't to the crew. I am temp... I have asked and the captain and crew weren't even sure if he was coming back. The captain said that instead of losing him...they thought they would give him the season off. still very fishy....first they don't know if he's coming back...then the chief stew tells me today that he is coming back and that he probably wont stay for the next winter season and they would love me back? very fishy..
Ripped off again
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:15 PM

So have you spoken to the captain? I am a Chief Engineer and fortunate enough to have my own cabin, but this is not always the case for engineers. Crew cabins and the space crew get is getting better. My owner is building a new boat and the rules about crew accomodations mean better cabins, but bigger cabins don't solve crew in-fighting and power struggles. I don't think I've ever worked on a boat where the interior team work in harmony. Is this because women are bitchy or is it because interior teams lack professional standards. I think this is more about a wrestle with the chief stew and this is not uncommon with interior staff.
Brianna Rose
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:09 PM

If It feels fishy and you don't like it, you have a choice here once your commitments are up - stay or go. If you really want to get to the bottom of it, go to the source. Ask the captain, be upfront - but be clear about why you want to know what's going on. As a chief stewardess - I have to say some women are bitchy, not all are, some interior crews work in Harmony and some definitely don't. Finding the balance can be tricky, its about having similar values and work ethics and a willingness to work together for a greater purpose that serves all of the crew/guests. I don't think interior crew lack professional standards, some are highly professional. However, while they might have all the boating service and house keeping skills under their belt to please their owners, What most most Head stewardesses seem to lack (in my experience) is effective and efficient team management skills. Unless their previous mentors have been great at it, or they have undertaken study of it at some point its often the missing ingredient needed in creating a harmonious team.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:53 AM
Why are most Chef,s premaddonas. Nightmare especially male ones. Always want the world to run around them.Why dont you ask for the Captains cabin or indeed a guest room, after all you are the most important person on board, or at least thats what you may think.
Ask yourself a question, why do you get only freelance work?? your food cannot be that great can it .
If I was the Captain or Chief stew, I would fire your arse so quick for complaining about the bunk, I hate crew that whine all the time, put you back on the street thats what I would do.
I have been Chief engineer for 30 years. Sometimes I have a small bunk and also share with other crew, do I moan, never!
Cook some boiled eggs and toast and quit bitching, or get off the boat !

Stephen
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:22 AM

Just suck it up. He made the arrangement with either the captain or owners I'm guessing, so it bothers you; Well that was the deal when you were hired. Live with it, your turn will come. Remember you left and now you want back, so hang in there.
Chef JK
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:03 PM

cool..... thanks all, almost, for feedback. anonymous...your an idiot. You know everything as well I am sure. every casual forum needs a village idiot i guess anonymous.... I appreciate the additional feedback from the rest...that's why I posted...for positive and/or negative.. the chief stew is great...no problem there..the crew are great...love the food and I am fine either way it turns out. just outrageous that a chef can take 4 months off in the ONLY busy season. thats all. right? I did speak with the captain...but wishy washy answers all along. Again..no problem...I have actually been enjoying freelance work...5 months off...salaries average out...more time with family. respect!
runningoutofusernameideas
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:45 PM

Anonymous wrote:
Why are most Chef,s premaddonas. Nightmare especially male ones. Always want the world to run around them.Why dont you ask for the Captains cabin or indeed a guest room, after all you are the most important person on board, or at least thats what you may think.
Ask yourself a question, why do you get only freelance work?? your food cannot be that great can it .
If I was the Captain or Chief stew, I would fire your arse so quick for complaining about the bunk, I hate crew that whine all the time, put you back on the street thats what I would do.
I have been Chief engineer for 30 years. Sometimes I have a small bunk and also share with other crew, do I moan, never!
Cook some boiled eggs and toast and quit bitching, or get off the boat !

And how! As I was reading the first post, I thought, "Um..the hell's the deal here?".  I have worked my ass off as a stew and dayworker while having dealt with a bunch of good and fair folks and certainly a bunch of unprofessional, snarky losers (who make the guest look like your friends) who would find some pathetic excuse to "fire" you or make your life miserable to the point of quitting the boat all together.....certainly not having some arrogant expecation that I should have a bigger bunk or work hard while someone else is taking a break or on vay-cay.

I mean, get a grip. I've worked a number of times while chief stews sat on their ass pretending to do "admin" or took way too many breaks.  I've complained a lot on this forum for a couple of years, but I don't even believe I've ever complained about "small" bunks or having to work in place of someone else while they're on break or on vacation.

Maybe you should GET over yourself, before someone really treats you like garbage. And be a little more appreciative that someone has actually employed you.

Chef JK
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:54 PM

?? yes I am really gonna get over myself....yes..
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:09 PM

JK. Anonymous and several other respondents to this may be idiots but you did set yourself up (with the bunk comment) for reactionary and negative comments towards us chefs as a whole.  Who cares about why, why, why? Just take it for what it is, 4 months work. Why the anxiety? You came across as a boofhead but you are probably a good chef!

Sure, I agree that we should get a better cabin than a 4th Stew or junior decky, just smarter to keep it to yourself mate. I also have done alot of freelance recently, almost half these have offered me a full time gig later on. If you are any good this will happen.  

Roll with it. Would be funny though if your next temp job was sharing a cabin with the engineer that loves his boiled eggs and toast!

Chef JK
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:29 PM

your right! I know I did set myself up and I actually have made no remarks to any of the crew of my cabin, quite the contrary. I was just frustrated and kicked myself in the ass for even the post....but at this point had to rolllll with it. while laughing. quite honestly...I am your ideal chef you'd want to have on board. I look after the crew as much as the guests...if not more!! I've been on smaller boats where I've slept on deck and in the rain.....used the anchor locker....when guests on board...sail boat of course! It's nice to see a lively bunch on-line and perhaps ye' ole engineer and me will share a drink and some eggs one day!!!
Suzystew
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 1:29 AM

[content removed by moderator for violating forum guidelines]

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:18 PM

If I were in your shoes. I would be very grateful for a 4 month freelance gig. On top of it on a Feadship! It does not matter why the full-time chef has 1 or 6 months off. You are hired for a certain time period and you are supposed to do a great job (which appears the case). If they really want to keep you, they will. I would not get into silly, useless gossip when it really does not matter nor should it affect your job. Be thankful for what you have!

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 4:54 AM
What's the big deal about the small cabin? As a temp crew member, of course you are going to get the small cabin.  Should the captain give his up for you (don't answer that, most chefs will say yes!). As a temp, you are one spot above the ship's cat in the pecking order. As for only getting temporary gigs, all the good chefs I know can pick and choose their boats and pretty much name their price.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 5:06 AM

As anonamous rightly said, good chefs get paid the big bucks, stay with their employer and certainly dont go through 18 months of freelance jobs, now thats fishy dont you think.

Another thing thats fishy is , a temp chef, in the pecking order of 1 step above dayworker, is demanding a larger cabin, does sir chef JK , you highness like caviar for breakfast too....?

[content removed for violating forum guidelines]

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 1:16 PM

To ananymous 05 06. Certainly JK has come across as a bit dim. However, it is way out of order for you to attempt to name and shame on this forum. You have come across as confrontational, abrasive and more arrogant than JK. Another delusional Chief Stew with poor people skills perhaps. Far more of them out there than poor chefs. I am sure you could name several chefs and other crew you have had problems with. How pathetically self righteous of you to advise the reader to check someone's references.  

I know several excellent older freelance chef's and there is nothing "fishy" about this at all. So cease with your narrow mided generalisations.  It is not your right to sabotage someones living by your personal diatribe on this forum. You are the one who should get over yourself.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 1:54 PM

05 06 anonymous. You obviously do not understand the job of a freelance chef. Invariably this chef has to come in at short notice, hit the ground running and do a job as good as if they had the luxury of 2 weeks set up time. A really good freelancer would have had several years yacht experience.  Do you not understand this?  Maybe JK is a dud, but to generalise about freelance Chefs as 1 step above a day worker is wrong. This clearly shows a lack of empathy of  boat dynamics on your part.

Ask yourself, one question. Could you or the day worker cook on a 50 meter yacht at short notice? Open your mind!!

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 7:19 PM
You need to realise that invariably a Temp chef job does turn into a full time position. Other freelance roles too. Captains will engage a temp and it may actually be a trial for a future full time gig. Anonymous 04 54; You suggest you are a superior crew member as you are full time. Don't you get it that when the boss or charter guests come on they could not care less who is full time or temp. Even with no guests, the crew still want top notch food. They want the same product, regardless. In this sense all crew are equal. That's why a good Freelancer, especially a chef is extremely important.  Wake up to yourself before making daft contributions to this forum. Or the freelance chef you derided may join your boat full time and season your well done steak with eye drops.
Chef JK
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 7:23 PM

ok....wow...lots of feedback... of course I was out of line wining about a smaller cabin..but I took that back immediately at the beginning of this post. As i mentioned before I really wasn't serious about that. It was a moment. I have an excellent track record and produce high quality food for both guest and CREW. I take care of the crew and am VERY thankful to be working right now. However....to say that any great chef can pick his yacht and pay is absolutely not true right now. Wish it was..... I'm with a great crew right now and was led to believe that I may be kept on....but it turns out there chef is returning and I'll keep on keeping on. to those of you who have posted and are obviously grinding your teeth......relax.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 11:26 PM
Well Chef JK is obviously back peddaling, please can you invite your crew that think you are wonderful including the Captain and Chief stew on your "Feadship" to post their response to your winging and moaning.....would love to hear it.
Still waiting for my boiled eggs on toast......

Henning
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 11:49 PM

This thread is comedy. JK, yeah, it's strange for a primary crew member to get 4 months off especially in the only season where the boat sees use, unless it is for an arranged rotation or as Junior stated, a major personal issue where that crew member has a condition/situation covered under contract or long standing relationship with the vessel/owner. With some few owners, good crew become "family" and get taken care of quite well. The situation you're in is strange, but it may come to your advantage from the sounds of things. As to your bunk, small bunks suck, but there are worse things in life unless the bunk is so short you can't stretch out, that sucks hard. If you get offered a permanent position on the boat, if it really is an issue for you, it's a point you can probably negotiate on.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:06 AM
Yes a divine comedy it is. We really do take ourselves a bit too seriously sometimes. Good to hear from you Henning, I was wondering where the wise 'ol regulars had got to. Where's French on this one?
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:13 AM
Come on JK, take the Eggman-Engineers challenge, let's hear from your crew. If you're right I say the Chief should walk the plank and vice versa.
Chef JK
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 1:52 AM

ha!! yeah.....I know at least one of my crew saw the post early on...I'll see if I can get some of them on this one...... AGain...I don't want the captains cabin...but maybe the 4th stews huge bunk.....hahaha....if the chef doesn't return!! He did take EVERYTHING he owns with him.. I did just move out of NYC....whatever bunk I have, on any yacht...is an upgrade!! Hey...the day I arrived....the captain seemed to think the chef wasn't coming back!!! He's only been on for a little over a year.....i've been told. for you....engineer...I may just poach your eggs
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:59 AM
This whole thread is ridiculous. JK, maybe, just maybe the reason he is gone is because the owner is on board and doesnt like his food but the chef has something on the captain and wont get fired but removed while the owner is on board. If he took everything, prob not coming back and you failed.....dont be paranoid, no one ever knows what is being said by the owner the captain and the mate on the bridge.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 6:02 AM
This is exactly why we post anonymously. I will never hire JK. But he might have had a point and gotten lots of jobs, we wont know, but i do, no soup for you !!
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:17 PM
Chef JK has gone quiet.....has he now got the luxury of sharing " a dorm " in a crew house as he looks for job 107 in 2010?? Bet he wishes he has the small bunk now.!

Average 0 out of 5