Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
SOLAS Training Manual combined in SMS?
stockydale
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 11:49 AM

Hi, does anyone know if the SOLAS Training Manual can be combined within the Safety Managment System? The later repeats a lot, if not all, of whats required within the Training Manual and it would seem logical to have one central publication for the crew to consult.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 12:57 AM
The SOLAS Training Manual (STM) can be considered a part of the overall Safety Management System, but you cannot combine the manual with the ISM documentation. The STM is a distinct requirement in SOLAS and must be a standalone manual. If you feel there is repetition, it would be more acceptable to an external auditor that the SMS manuals make reference back to the STM.
ZORGE
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:47 PM

Dear Stockydale.

I see that almoust a year have passed since you posted your question and I hope that you have find the answer allready otherwise it is bit sceary if an officer (if you are one) have such a litle knowlage and/or understanding of second most important document after SOLAS. I would advise you to check out what is safety Management System and read ISM Code - which is acctually a wery small book and can be read within a day with no problems.
Main diference is that SOLAS Training Manual cover only some specific things required by SOLAS ch.III reg.35 which concerns only with information on lifesaving appliances and how to use them while SMS should cover all matters on board the vessel including training and therefore STM can be a part of SMS,and should be implemented is system but it will have to be a separate manual.
Just remember that SMS stands for Safety Management System and  system includes much more than one manual, it can have several manuals plus computer based programs etc. as well as it can be done without any hardcopy manual as well.
If you would like some more info please do not hezitate to ask.

Ayo
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 7:50 PM

I disagree with the general attitude of the last poster and agree wholy with The contant. In short, Safety Management Manual SMM can refer to the SOLAS as a guide and tool. Remember that the idea of implementing aan ISM system is to create one tailor made for the vessel,crew,compant in question. That requires specific procedures relating to equipment onboard. Not in general or copy paste.

Average 0 out of 5