Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Visa requirements for superyacht crew in euroupe.
td
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:20 PM

Hi Matrix, You maybe able to shed some light on this for me , I am a New Zealand passport holder working on a cayman islands flagged vessel, I have worked on various vessels in euroupe and been told i do not need a visa if i am on the crew list of a foriegn flagged vessel. I have never had any stamps in my passport bar the stamp on arrival in france , I am due to go on holiday in euroupe an would like to know where i stand as far as my visa goes.
MatrixLloyd.com
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:45 PM

Hi td. Thanks for your question. Your right to work as a crewmember under an employment contract (in this case the crew list) should not be confused with your separate right (or not) to enter a country as a tourist. You will almost certainly have a right work in the EU as a crewmember, but normally only as long as you are due to leave within a certain period (this can be as little as one week). You should apply separately for a tourist visa as required. There is, of course, plenty of information on the web about what you can apply for and receive as an ordinary tourist. MatrixLloyd
td
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:26 PM

Hi Matrix, thankyou for your prompt reply, I will be taking my leave in france and italy , during of which i will still be employed by the vessel and still on the crew list , Would a copy of the crew list and a letter of employment from the vessel be sufficient to carry with me . to avoid any possible problems.as to why i do not have a visa
MatrixLloyd.com
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:33 PM

It may be enough if you were to be stopped and checked near the yacht's present port or en route to a nearby airport to be repatriated. Other than that, you'd be in trouble if they undertook further checks. If your not actually being employed at that moment, you're a tourist, and need whatever paperwork a tourist would need.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 5:17 PM
Where is your Seaman's Book?  If you are a professional mariner, a Seaman's book will keep you out of trouble.  Get one ASAP
d3viant
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 6:04 PM

I'm a kiwi working on a Cayman-flagged vessel too, based in France. Being from NZ, you don't need to 'apply' for a tourist visa for Europe - you'll automatically be granted one upon entry (3 months, I think?). I've been in Europe for years and drift around the continent on my standard kiwi passport without ANY problems to date (except the UK border guys, who often like an ongoing ticket, depending on who you get on that day). I recently even flew into France from NZ on a one-way ticket, and the customs guys here didn't bat an eyelid. It's good to be cautious TD, but I think you'll be fine...
Yachtwork
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:25 PM

Hi, we are US passport Captain and Mate/chef on Cook Island Flagged vessel in Europe for past month.. Possibly wintering over in Europe 2011/12, what would be the visa requirements for us? We both have NZ Seamans book. We both arrived by air one end of April 2011, one end of May 2011, delivered yacht Poland to S of France, then flew to London and moved friends boat Scotland to Solent then flew to Balerics for current positon. What visa requirements do we need to meet to winter over with current yacht as crew?

Luke Jonothan Lotteriet
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:17 PM

Hi Matrix, im a South African. Due to my letter of invatation not making it in time I now have to find another means of applying for a visa to Europe. my flights are booked for the 15 of April. My time is running out fast.. Please Help!!
Stacey
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:58 PM

Hi Matrix. Would like to pick your brain a bit as I'm a little confused with all this visa talk. I'm a Saffa working onboard a yacht and my visa runs out in August. Iv been told a seamans book is the way to go from here. My yachts glad is from the Caribbean (saint Vincent), is it vital to get a seamans book from the place your yacht is registered with or should I be getting a SA seamans book?!? Also, once the seamans book is with me, do I need a transit visa to leave Europe when I head home or is it just a matter of heading the the airport with my expired visa and my seamans book?!? Sorry for all the questions, I look forward to your reply x
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:33 PM

Stacey,

If you are SA you need a transit visa when you leave the vessel to the airport. Have the Purser or the Capt. contact your agent to get the transit visa. You cannot just walk off a yacht because you have a Seaman's book. Does no one on your yacht not know this info? 

If you rock up to the airport with no transit visa you will not be allowed to board the plane!

For your seamans book you do not need a Seamans book of which your yacht is registered per say. It all depends on the flag state. Some you need a Seaman's book from the flag state of your yacht others you do not! 

Your Capt. should be able to tell you this or if you have a Purser onboard!

Stacey
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 7:26 PM

Thank you for your speedy reply. I'm on a small yacht, 25m. It's jut the captain, the deckhand and myself. Unfortunately the captain doesn't know much about seamans books or the process it entails, or something of that nature. He's said he will sign where needed but its basically up to me to organize it, this is why I seek some knowledge from you. I have contacted the Monaco margarine affairs who deals with Saint Vincent flaged vessels, so the process should be much harder from here on out. The transit visa, should that be organized thru the French embassy with which I got my original Shengan visa from?

Stacey 

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 4:40 AM
Hi, I am a young New Zealander looking to find a career in the Super Yacht industry, i have completed my STCW etc and am planning to head to Antibes in Feb next year to start dockwalking. I haven't travelled much so i have no idea where to start, would i need a visa? (and what type) and whether or not to book a return ticket or just a one way? Sorry about so many questions
MatrixLloyd.com
Posted: Monday, September 2, 2013 11:05 AM

Thanks for your question. Until you get a job, you're just a tourist (at best). Speak to the French embassy in NZ for the most up-to-date visa requirements.
Andy411
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 3:32 AM

Hi matrix, one question: i have a u.k. Passport, can i dockwalk and do daywork legally in the UE? Thanks
Andy411
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 3:38 AM

I meant european union. And what about in the u.s.? I hear i can do daywork on a non american flagged vessel, but i would need to be put on the crew list to make believe i was not hired in the u.s., is this correct?
Sian_hughes
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 10:24 AM

Hi Matrix,
My boyfriend and I are looking to work on one of the super yachts in Europe this summer.  I am a Canadian but also hold a UK passport so will be able to work freely on the boat.  My boyfriend, however, is an Australian with only an Aussie passport (where we currently reside).  We will be going to Antibes in May looking for work and I am wondering what type of work visa my boyrfriend will need and how it works.  Will he need a working visa from France, or will he also need one for every country we port in, OR will he even need one at all?  We are new to this type of work and would like to check all our boxes before going over!
Appreciate your help!

myburgh.phillip@gmail.com
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:58 PM

Hello MatrixLloyd

I am a South African crew member on a yacht in Spain. My Schengen visa expires in April and I would like to know where I can go to apply for a new visa. The boat asked me to renew my visa and also apply for a B1B2. The boat would give me all the required paper work, all I need is a place to do all of this. I heard it was possible to go to Croatia and do it there, but that was before Croatia became part of the EU. Would I have to go back to South Africa or is there anywhere closer?

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, July 5, 2014 9:09 PM

Hi Matrix,

I am Ukrainian,and we going to Italy from USA using Yacht transport.I am accompany a boat and she is going be in Genoa for 2 days and then heading to Turkey.I do not have Shengen visa , just seaman book .Would it be any troubles for this transit or it possible organise shore pass with an agent for me?

Average 5 out of 5