Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Carpet stairs...
Salvador
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 6:00 PM

Hi.

Dear crewmembers, having a situation here...

How can we best clean steps that are covered with carpet, please?

If I try to move the glued carpet it will be ruinned, if I leave it one more season it will be ugly...

What 's the best known product\method to let it ..... clean, can I use regular clothes soap? and dry it ?

Beige carpet!

Thank you

14Freedom
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 9:35 PM

What's under? Finished wood? Aluminum? Interior/Exterior? All weather or Berber?
Please try to give all details before posting, and when all else fails, RESOLVE for a quick fix.

Salvador
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 11:17 PM

Finished wood under, interior carpet,

Sorry , don't understand         "RESOLVE for a quick fix."

Thank you.

junior
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 7:43 AM

I use soap and water and a scrub brush...plenty of water. need to get all soap residue out because it attracts moisture and will soil fast in future. then wet and dry vacuum clean the water mess. Very much traffic on steps....I must clean every month. By the way carpet is cheap to replace. Tear it off and throw away if its beyond repair. I remove the carpet glue with a hot air gun to soften, then a sharpened piece of plexi glass or hard plastic to scrape it off. Choose a contrasting colour from the main carpet colour for replacement on steps to avoid complicated matching in future. If you can remove the steps from the yacht a high power wash does a great job at cleaning carpet without leaving soap residue.
Salvador
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 9:56 AM

Thank you Sir

Appreciate that. I guess my mistake the first time I've clean them it was lack of drying time after washing... in a few days it was all back again!

Thanks

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 7:49 PM

Have you tried "Hagerty Dry Shampoo for carpet and upholstry"? It is a well known brand and trusted to be effective but delicate on high end items. I find the Dry Shampoo very effective.

Before you just remove the old carpet see if the edges are sewn or not. If you have to re-sew the edges you will need a decent upholstry shop. If this is the case I always recommend making 2 sets so that you have one spare for the future.

Kim_Russell
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 8:29 PM

Hi Salvador, Carpets on boats should be professionally cleaned at the end of every season (depending on usage, of course). The absolute best carpet cleaners I have used since I've been in yachting are InterNett. The are based in Antibes and even have a mobile unit that will come out to you if you're on the hook. For small spills pH neutral soap (heavily diluted) and water is fine, but do not rub the area (this damages the carpet and makes it look worse). Dab the area with a clean cloth and move in towards the centre of the spill. Use an old towel and press down hard to soak up as much of the liquid as possible. If you have soap residue, a small amount of vinegar will get rid of it. Just be sure to blot up as much as the liquid as possible. Good luck!
jcscarpets
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 8:40 PM

JC's Carpet Cleaning in Ft.Lauderdale we use a system Dry Foam Extraction that not to many companies use, it cleans extremely well & dries very fast because it dos'nt reach the backing of the carpet like steam cleaning does (1 to 2 hours to dry) 954.892.9228
junior
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 8:45 PM

Its always best for a professional to do any task. The real world problem is that we have no time for professionals because of time schedules and the the intense wear . The internal solution is always best and in 95 percent of applications the only solution possible. With common laundry soap, plenty of fresh water and a wet and dry vac I can deliver superior results anywhere in the world ,any time. A power wash on hemmed carpet is a dynamite tool. I literally hang the carpets outside in the sunshine to dry like washing. This is the only way I know to remove the inherent SALT buildup and its moisture attraction.
Salvador
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 10:39 PM

Hi!

Thank you all. Very helpfull.

Preparing for all possible scenario! Also asked for regular cleanning professionals help. It's interesting to check the different types for different materials. To my case, the soap and the the one of the foam being the most preferable solutions. We once used that foam, and it worked really well, although for this time I guess we'll have to do something stronger.

And.... after all, I tried to remove the carpet and (almost ruining it) ...   gladly  found out she was just very well grabbed in the wood floor with that kind of very strong ducktape that glues on both sides.....!!!  So, as I was going to wash them and realised it could shrink, I've asked the nice ladies to do it!!!! They're very experienced, and .... if doesn't work ... Soap & Water!!! 

Thank you , good luck and fair winds

Average 0 out of 5