Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Training with guests in mind
David_M_Aust
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 3:54 AM

I was wondering if anyone out there has any advice regarding what additional tickets (outside of mandatory training) should a aspiring deckhand aim for prior to arriving in the Med for the upcoming season?

I've just completed by Megayacht Deck Crew Course, STCW '95, ENG1, VHF Radio Operator ticket, and Small Power Boat & RIB licence, and I wanted to do something else that would be more focused on enabling me to deal with the guests on board.

I've only got limited funds and I'm tossing up between learning to kite surf or obtaining a SCUBA ticket (PADI/SSI). Any views on which would be the better option?

Appreciate any thoughts, and happy to take any suggestions on other tickets/ quals that would be worth pursuing.

Cheers, Dave

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 5:24 AM
You will never get to do those activities with guests, try saving your money for living costs and expenses while you wait to find a job...takes longer and is more expensive than everyone thinks. If you can afford it, I would get my Yachtmaster...it has become the new entry level credential these days for deck crew. Larger Yachts have a manning requirement that needs to be adhered too and employ what they call a Yacht Ratings. The Yachtmaster supersedes this. Grab a copy of the MSN 1802 and have a read. It will help guide you through your career path on most Yachts. Good Luck !
junior
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 6:01 AM

Learn languages. French , Italian, Spanish or German...pick one. The truly valuable crew can be entrusted with a guest and offer basic bilingual service.. A truly valuable crew can be sent into town on an errand and get things done. On yachts we are the international customer service industry.
Neal
Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2010 12:42 AM

On the right boat you will do these activities with guests. If you wanted to set yourself apart from other crew kite surfing is more of a niche, however, more boats have dive equipment and generally guests will have their diving licenses.
However, for either to be of real value you will need to reach the advanced or instructor level.
Good Luck on the job hunt!

Average 0 out of 5