Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
MPT VS IYT
Captain Sevigny
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2010 9:37 PM

I am trying to decide between Maritime Professional Training and International Yacht Training.  I am contemplating taking the Yacht master course.  I am a 100 Ton Captain with my AB unlimited with Lifeboat and Stcw. While I am there is there any other courses I should look into. If you prefer to PM me you can do so at Rich7e@gmail.com

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, January 3, 2010 3:54 AM
As an AB Unlimited, you have enough sea time to sit for your 3rd Mate Unlimited. Go that route instead. More opportunity and a better license.
Chief
Posted: Sunday, January 3, 2010 2:46 PM

An AB Unlimited with only  lifeboatman and BST is about $20,000 and a long ways from a 3rd Mate unlimited license. And unless the candidate gets moving quickly, the new standards that will come into effect soon will make that transition very difficult and much more expensive for a hawespiper.

Suggested reading:    http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/marpers/pag/14-02.pdf   and have a look at the MITAGS site for their AB to Mate program.

The MCA license is worthless for anything other than yacht service. There are essentially no seatime requirements and virtually no professional qualifications are required so if a piece of paper is the goal, just pick a school and buy one.

AndyP79
Posted: Monday, January 4, 2010 12:47 AM

Just in case anyone is interested, if you go to the Coast Guards NMC site, you can find the proposed rules for the STCW and new licensing requirements that will happen soon. It is a 90 page pdf and quite interesting to read. Many good things are coming. They are getting rid of 500GRT and combining it with 1600GRT, but at the same time seatime is now going to be much more. Keep in mind alot of the document is just simply clarifying wording and moving things to different sections. But all in all, it is quite easy to say, that if you hold any American documents in the future under these new rules, you should be quite experienced and educated. Real world experience and dedicated classroom time.
If your contemplating getting your Yachtmaster, I ask why? Read these new rules, get the qualifications for the size you desire to pursue with CG Licensing. All the crap people say about CG licensing not being up to par, is out the window, not only does the new rules hold the STCW standard, it surpasses it. I think it would be in your interest to take the $3500 or so to do the Yachtmaster, and upgrade to a Coast Guard 200GRT/ 500GT License, take all the extra classes that the proposed rules say for the Oceans endorsement, and then, your way above the line of a Yachtmaster.

I guess though, we will see a change in the MCA rules in the future to keep up with standards. Thats the way it goes.

Chief
Posted: Monday, January 4, 2010 12:02 PM

"I guess though, we will see a change in the MCA rules in the future to keep up with standards. Thats the way it goes"

The change should come from the IMO and it should be the end of the yacht limited license. How the IMO accepted the MCA version of such a crippled and baseless certificate is beyond comprehension and how they can allow the system to continue begs the question of what licensing is all about in the first place.

If a charter yacht manned by MCA yacht  license holders were to set up a business in the UK and sell tickets to take passengers for an overnight cruise those crewmembers would not be permitted to work on that vessel because they lack adequate training. Yet the MCA deems them fit to sail around the world with paying passengers since the vessel is a yacht and the passengers are "guests."

I think it is fair enough to allow MCA yacht licenses for private yacht use but to accept them for crew of commercial yachts carrying paying passengers is ludicrous. Hopefully the IMO will put an end to this facade in the very near future.

junior
Posted: Monday, January 4, 2010 2:05 PM

Its so cheap and easy to get your yachtmaster that you should do it today. NOW. What Chief says is undoubtedly true. If you are a serious seaman you must work towards a commercial ticket. There is no other way. While you are working for the commercial ticket, hold a yardmasters so that you can get be employed and pay the bills...The yacht next to me just hired a young yachtmaster....4500 euro per month.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 5:55 AM
I don't understand how most of you people can say how it is easy to buy a yacht ticket.....it takes at least, six, yes 6 years to even get to the point where you will be considered for a MCA 500T Yacht restricted master. Granted it is only a yacht specific licence but do you need to become an orthodontist just to clean teeth ? And can a Commercial unlimited master who drives 10000t oil tankers really run a hotel that moves at night ? The MAIB can quote more idiocy in commercial land than yacht world. Sure, things happen but i guarantee you the level of intelligence in the yacht community doubles that of commercial crewmembers....you dont get to work for the top 0.0001 % of the population if you are an idiot. We don't need to paint no smoking across the superstructure of our boats ( this does not apply to engineers). Not my fault a good yachtsman is smart enough to pass an exam with the same course content a commercial sailer took three months to learn after a 2 week course.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:24 AM

Average 0 out of 5