Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Crossing the Line with Religion
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:29 PM
  Dear Crew Confessor, One of our new deckies is a bible thumper, and I'm not talking rabbits. He makes a big deal about praying before meals and at every opportunity he'll bring up Jesus and getting born over again. I'm no heathen but I don't appreciate being told that I'm going to hell if I don't do what he says! He's driving us all a little batty. We share a cabin and he prays out loud at night, naming each and every one of the crew as damned for this sin or that sin, but he is praying for our "salvation." If he tells me one more time that he'll pray for me I think I'll bash him. We are all secretly laughing a bit, once the owner comes on board he's going to see what sin is, but in the meantime how should we cope with our very own religious zealot?
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 9:17 AM
This guy would drive me nuts and on our boat, would not get away with ramming his beliefs down other crew mates throats! Everyone has the right to believe what they think, but know one wants to be preached at day in day out. The Captain should have nipped it in the bud from the start. But if he's not, then just be up front with the guy and tell him that his views are really not appreciated. Living and working with crew on a yacht is hard enough... the last thing you want is Religion to cause a war on your yacht!
James Ward
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:58 PM

This is not good. I really do not like any form of extremism on board. What happens if you have a charter and the charter guests behave in a way that your religious zealot finds offensive, -- girls etc --. There are too many negatives and potential nightmares to having a person like this on board. If he really is as bad as you say he is I would probably move him along and ask him to consider his choice of career more fully. You have to live and let live on boats, you have to tolerate lots of things you don't like, but you do it quietly. Sorry, sounds cruel but it would drive me insane .....
Planet Massage & Chef Mark Lohmann
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:21 PM

I agree, any form of extremism on board is too much. Im all for religion and spirituality, however, it is one of those things best done in private. The captain should have nixxed this from the go ahead. reminds me of a born again, reformed aloholic captain I once worked for. He ran around throwing bible verses out there to make bad examples of people till he got trumped by a few of us who happend to know the bible better and threw it back at him for casting stones and being a biggoted hypocrite. Earned me a ticket home from Greece as a matter of fact, but I was much better off for it
CaptErik
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:12 PM

Captain should explain, that it is not work related and is a form of harasment to others. His belief is fine, simple prayer before eating and allow him time to go to church. Infringing on others onboard is unnaceptable, and if he does not stop it , let him go. This will be one unhappy boat while he continues his salvation crusdade. It definately is a form of harasment.
lorenzo
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 12:59 PM

How about crucifinig him on the main mast to pleased his zealotism fully. Let him be a martyr, no?

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:49 PM
Very simple, ever seen full metal jacket? a few bars of soap and some socks will put an end to the bible bashing! If that fails you guys can speak to the Captain who can then try to tell the dude to shut the hell up or get him of the boat. I would go for the soap bars myself, way more satisfaction!
Henning
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 6:42 PM

Anonymous wrote:
Very simple, ever seen full metal jacket? a few bars of soap and some socks will put an end to the bible bashing! If that fails you guys can speak to the Captain who can then try to tell the dude to shut the hell up or get him of the boat. I would go for the soap bars myself, way more satisfaction!

Uhhh, remember what he did a few scenes later?
Global_Mongrel
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 3:17 AM

Well Done Henning! Having been in the forces and seen 1st hand what most idiots see and believe like the soap and sock/towel stories they don't work!!! It does bruise and it causes more conflict! Basically I suggest you speak quietly to him initially, unless you've already upset him by insulting him and taking the mick out of him publicly, (He'll be less inclined to speak to you quietly if you have!) explaining how you and some of the crew feel. If not speak to the 1st officer as the Capt will not want to be bothered by this sort of stuff all of the time, if your captain is approachable and not busy then by all means do. If not either of them then the SSO (Ships Security Officer) Should also have a role for this to keep crew safe and no issues on board, or the bosun. Suggest you get it out in the air. If besides this flaw he is a good deckie, maybe you can work around it and get him to understand your ways as you should his too. Find a compromise if all else fails. Good Luck....
Henning
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 8:12 AM

Either that or get him an eight ball and a hooker and lead him down the boulevards of sin and avarice....
Crew Confessor
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:33 PM

Dear Religious Line Crosser,

I'm going to speak to you directly because I'm enough of an egotist to imagine that I am so widely read in the industry that you will come across my advice.  If not I trust your crew mates will be creative enough to print this out and tape it to your cabin door.

I understand that some religious factions believe that they have a mandate, have been commanded by God himself to convert as many others as possible to their beliefs.  Some take it as a very serious aspect of their faith.  If you count yourself as belonging to such a denomination then yachting is simply not for you. Get out now. 

Generally yachties are a tolerant group.  Many got into "the business" because they wanted to travel to new places and experience different cultures.  Whilst working aboard a yacht, the yacht is both your home and workplace, the two are inextricably linked together.  It is simply not appropriate to flaunt your faith with loud prayers, proselytizing to coworkers, or condemnatory comments about their behavior.  It is NEVER appropriate to share your religious beliefs with guests.  It is a topic that should never come up. 

I do not propose that you leave your bible on the dock.  Quietly and privately practicing your faith is perfectly acceptable, and if attending church on Sundays is important to you, then speak with the captain about fitting this into the program when possible.  Note the "when possible," often it is simply not possible.

Less zealous crew may also find that if time permits, attending local church services while traveling can be a unique window into the people and culture of a place.  I suggest asking the captain and/or dockmaster/harbourmaster about the etiquette of attending services where you are, how to dress, that sort of thing. 

Peace Be With You,

Your Crew Confessor

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 8:12 AM
Leave the hymnals in the pews. Tell me what to do, Don't ever tell me What I should think

Average 0 out of 5