Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Medical Grounds
Global_Mongrel
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:57 AM

I have been in the marine industry all of my life, and I mean ALL of my life. My dad was involved with the very first Whitbread Round the World Yacht Race the year I was born. My earliest memory is sailing on Great Britain 2 and the Samuel Whitbread and Velsheda when I was around 3 or 4 years old. I even have pictures. My Dad, like most folk had what my Mum called a "Proper Job" and wanted me to do the same. I have been in the Army and the police force and even worked in the Pharmaceutical industry for a year or so when I got married for a more stable life. However the sea is what keeps me going. However until a few years ago I had no formal qualifications, so I went straight in and passed my RYA Yachtmaster in the week course and got the commercial endorsements straight afterwards as I was asked by an owner for my tickets. No one had ever asked me before for qualifications. Since then, I have added a powerboat instructor and sailing instructor and my STCW95. Until recently I had never thought about superyachts but I love classic sailing yachts such as the J classes and have a passion for wood and varnish. However in 2002 I was diagnosed with a type of Arthritis after falling 90ft down a mast. (Managed to get a guiness world record for most swear words in a 90ft fall too! LOL) Anyway, I have over 100,000Nm under my belt mostly on sailing yachts. Including 2 circumnavigations, (Both directions) 10 Transats and apprenticeship at a sail makers, Wooden boat yard and all experience since I was 3 years old. Now surely I have more experience than most rookie deck hands. (Thats where I know I have to start on Superyachts. Back at the bottom, gain respect and a CV on Superyachts.) However because I need constant medication some conversations with Agents, as soon as I say I have this condition, (Even though I have passed all medicals and managed to sail the wrong way around the globe with it!) have said, sorry cant help you. You need to Dockwalk 1st. Having tried that being a 30 something and my experience seems to go against me. My age, experience etc seems to before I get to the medical. Once that is said. Its the final nail. Any ideas? Thoughts? Global Mongrel I fear leaving the UK because of this requirement and in
junior
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 3:42 PM

Mongrel, first off... dump the traveller, Ease the dam mainsheet, blow the vang and get that Figaro back on its feet. Second, don't psych yourself out !!!! I have no idea what constant medication means ? but I say if you are capable of carrying out your personal medical responsibilities it should make no difference. Don't allow some paper pusher crew agent to decide your suitability. And dont listen to anything yacht crew tell you...they are all insecure , all they want is YOUR JOB, ANY JOB. Mongrel, you obviously know your way around boats. You next lesson in life is to know your way around their owners and the super yacht marine industry. There has always been and will always be a shortage of capable sailors to supply the yacht industry. Avoid the influence peddlers and crew agents who are trying to sell something and go directly to the problem that must be solved via, brokers, managers, shipyards, builders, sail makers . Get a move...no time to waste.....
Mike French
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:41 PM

I would suggest that you get an Eng 1.  This is the standard and if you can get it then no one should have reason to doubt your fitness.  If you can get it no-one should suppose that their value judgement is important it is for you and the captain/manager to establish between you as to whether your condition is a cause for you to be unable to do your job.  With regard to the medication you require make sure that you have a prescription with you and declare it to the captain or owner and you should be fine. 

The only issue I have had was with a crew member who was carrying 6 months worth of medicine with him without prescription and in one particular country we visited the drug was a controlled substance.  We managed to get his doctor to fax a prescription in order to avoid what was technically a serious charge for importing banned drugs.

Good luck.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 2:37 AM
Hey Mate, you just got old early. Been in this business over 40 years and now I have fake knees and a fake hip. No one know it. Yes I have arthritis too but I manage to do my job. Be very careful of the Motrin,Alleve etc as they can and will eat holes in your gut and you can bleed out, silenty and swiftly and never wake up. If you poop black run to the doctors. I just suffer and live with arthritis. I still run boats and hopefully you will still be able to figure out how to get around and run your own boat. The US has a medical exam. I can pass it and will keep running boats until I can't.
Dr Ken
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:31 PM

Mike French, above, is correct. If an MCA doctor thinks you are eligible for an unrestricted ENG1 fitness certificate then that should be enough and the details of any medical condition do not normally need to be revealed. If the doctor thinks restrictions are indicated then that will inevitably start a discussion but, even then, the decision on fitness is primarily a medical one rather than a non-medical management one. With an unrestricted certificate, the discussion on any underlying medical conditions is not necessary and will only reopen a debate which the doctor concluded when making a judgement at the medical assessment. Hope this helps.
Global_Mongrel
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:18 AM

Thank you very much to you all for your kind comments. When I did my SCTW95´s I had to get my ENG1 as part of it. So like you all said, MCA Doctors said I am fit to work at sea.

As for dumping the traveller etc on the Open60 if you notice the water it is very flat so very little wind. Unfortunatly you can´t see in the pic that there is actually another wake from a RHIB which was underneath inspecting the keel. The reason she is healed over soooo much is due to the canting keel. The Keel was canted to Lewd and all sails hauled in so that she would lie over as much as possible.

So instead of going dockwalking and agencies you all recommend going to the boat yards with my experience? This past year I decided to teach powerboating some more and have also been working on the lifeboats. They spotted my skills quickly and have since risen from rookie quite quickly!

Thanks also for your concern re the meds. One of mine is a controlled which I am currently trying to get tqken off. Fortunatly my GP is also a well known Ocean racer Dr so understands the challenges and as such has advised me about regs.

No problem re Gut and NSAIDS as not on them. So fotunatly getting my years back!

Kind Regards and Thanks Again

Global Mongrel

14Freedom
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:29 PM

Hey Global Mongrel,

I like your attitude...and your moniker!
Wishing you all the best in whatever you choose.

ATB-
The Slacker

Henning
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2010 9:04 AM

Global_Mongrel wrote:
 Now surely I have more experience than most rookie deck hands. (Thats where I know I have to start on Superyachts. Back at the bottom, gain respect and a CV on Superyachts.) However because I need constant medication some conversations with Agents, as soon as I say I have this condition, (Even though I have passed all medicals and managed to sail the wrong way around the globe with it!) have said, sorry cant help you. You need to Dockwalk 1st. Having tried that being a 30 something and my experience seems to go against me.

No such thing. You have knowledge and experience as well as a piece of paper that qualifies you as master within the tonnage/size restrictions given. You will be starting as a deck officer of some ranking as long as the vessel is under 200GT I believe. That would be mate or captain on a small "superyacht". I would not hire you into a deckhands position and I suggest you don't market yourself there especially with your physical condition. You have to sell your strong points which is your knowledge and experience and that puts you into officer jobs. Also, forget the agents, they don't have jobs for you. www.findacrew.net

Average 0 out of 5