Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
champagne etiquette
junior
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 6:50 PM

Got a champagne question. I'm crawling around the bilge improving my wine and champagne storage racks. For the champagne Ive got normal bottle size rack, Benjamin size racks and now Ive got just a little space left and have been thinking about a magnum bottle. I never carry Magnum's but since Ive got the saber saw out I might as well think about it. When do you serve a Magnum.? Ive always bought Magnums when the group is big, such as a birthday or you have just won the race..time for champagne. I always understood that etiquette required that everyone present must drink out of the same bottle of winners champagne. ???? What is the etiquette for champagne ?
An Owner
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:05 PM

I don't believe that there is any steadfast etiquette concerning magnums of champagne, however your logic is sound. You're only going to get 8 or 9 glasses from a mag, so if your party is fairly small they make a nice presentation for a first round.

Although some limited editions can only be obtained in magnum sized bottles, most oversize bottles must be special ordered and their primary purpose is decoration.

As far as in a winner's circle? That may well be tradition in some venues and a magnum would make sense. Half to wear and a swig from each of the team. Just be sure and have plenty of standard bottles ready to pour in the background because you generally pay more than double the price for one and one half the amount of champagne.

I generally only use magnum bottles as gifts, but my chief stew loves to use them in a centerpiece and take pictures of them.

AllyJ
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 11:57 AM

We should have magnums (preferably pink!!!) every day!!! A xoxoxo
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, November 6, 2009 10:05 PM

I thought of this question when I read that the Yankees celebrated their world series win with two Methuselahs of champagne (8 bottles in a Methuselahs) plus numerous standard sized bottles.  I was also surprised to learn that using champagne to celebrate sporting victories really only started in the 60s with formula 1 racing.  I tend to think that champagne and yachting have a longer relationship, after all we've been cracking bottles of bubbly on the bows of new launches for quite some time. 

I have not found anything that suggests the use of these oversized bottles is because of a superstition that everyone should drink from the same bottle.  Seems more like a special bottle for a special occasion, simply ramping up the celebration another notch.

junior
Posted: Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:24 AM

I had a beer with the owner last night and asked him about the Toast !, three cheers !, Salud ! Prost ! All for one, one for all !!!....drink from the same bottle routine.. Since he's 81 years old and after a couple drinks was speaking in Italian, I might have missed some of the explanation . What he said , aside from endless stories of Machiavellian skulduggery, Kings, Queens and poison was "In heaven we all drink from the same chalice. Salute... " and to always maintain eye to eye contact with your host to prevent a disgruntled crew from slipping a tablet into your drink .

Average 0 out of 5