Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Hinckley In Trouble
ablonde
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 6:22 AM

This does not bode well. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/10/business/10hinckley.html?_r=1 Is this an American Swan song?? Hope not. Beautiful boats and fabulous, dedicated craftstmen and women, it would be a terrible pity if they sink...
junior
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 7:49 PM

Sad to hear. My First captains job back in 1978 was a Hinckley. Good boat, good memories.
Henning
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 10:26 PM

Bummer, Hinckley makes a quality product.
junior
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 11:09 PM

I suspect that just like Jongert they will bounce back. Not sure if you read the article but in both cases it seems that private capital flooded into these established builders in an effort to ride a Yacht Bubble that burst.
Henning
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:20 AM

No, I didn't read it. Hopefully you are correct and the result will just be a reduction in scale of operation. Hinckley has been around a long time making good boats, I'd hate to see them disappear.
junior
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:18 PM

And concerning Jongert, I recently recieved a call from the Shipyard Chief Engineer and the Werft is getting back to normal. He was anxious to update his contact book of past captains and engineers who have used the shipyard in Medemblik. Good time for anyone concerned to check in with the Netherlands.
Sam
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:19 PM

It is a shame. I grew up on Mount Desert Island and my dad worked for Hinkley's for years. They have been struggling for a while up there. I'm really surprised they have made it this long... It's going to really kill the economy up there if they close. Past lay offs have been bad enough, but a total shut down will be a huge blow... It is too bad they moved away from a family run style business though... That was one thing that made them so popular. I knew most of the guys they talked about in that article when i was growing up, and they were all nice, genuine guys that took pride in the job and really took care of the customers. Sounds like they have lost a lot of that up there...

Average 0 out of 5