Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Crew Medical Aid
anon
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:29 PM

Can anyone recommend a good medical aid company for yachties? Our crew insurance covers medical emergencies, but I am looking for cover for day to day medical and dental expenses. We are usually between the Med, Caribbean and the US. Thanks!
MHG Mark B
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 9:30 PM

Hello Anon, I am very happy to assist you with your medical aid needs. We are insurance brokers specialized in the marine industry and will be pleased to discuss the best solution for you. My email is markb@mhgmarine.com or +1 954 828 1819 is the phone. I look forward to hearing from you!
TPetersen
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:26 PM

There are actually several programs availalble depending upon your situation and needs. As you found out, there are those plans that offer just "emergency treatment". However there are plans that cover anything that is medically necessary. SOme plans include USA coverage, while others may exclude, or limit uSA coverage if that is important. Some plans are designed specifically for yachties and may include coverage for any aquatic activities (scuba for example). Also, some plans are for individuals while others are designed as group programs. Your Purser or someone withing your organziation may have a good referral. If you need more direct information feel free to contact me. Good luck! Thomas Petersen thomaspetersen@valkyrieyachts.com
Nicolaas
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:38 PM

I am covered by Expatplus from Vanbreda Insurances, Belgium www.expatplus.com. They cover more and for higher liabilities than most other insurance companies. They also cover UN and NATO employees apparently. Another option may be Bupa www.bupa-intl.com
Anita Warwick
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:03 PM

Hello crewmembers interested in international health insurance.

Some vessels provide health cover for work related accidents whislt others have a health plan in place 24/7 whether at work or leisure. Clearly 24/7 cover is what one needs! 

Some vessels pay crewmembers a certain amount to go towards health insurance so the  crewmember can buy his/her own individual policy.  An individual policy is a good way to go as it is portable from boat to boat and covers you at work, between jobs, if you go home, on vacation etc. you're not going to fall between the cracks beween boats.

There are several plans available geared towards mariners and yacht crew.  Use an independent broker not tied to one insurer who can best advise which plan is right for you.

I was crew myself and the 'poster girl' for international health insurance. I am dedicated to helping crew find the best cover.  Please contact     SEVEN SEAS HEALTH if you  would like more information.     Anita Warwick     anita@sevenseashealth.com  

abouis
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:02 PM

Anita helped me find a plan.  Works in the US and anywhere else too!

Average 0 out of 5