Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
tatoo's Should I really stay away from this industry?
jimmykaz4
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:35 AM

I have one visible tatoo on my left forearm and I do realize that tatoos represent thuggish behaviour to a lot of people.  To other people they are becoming much more accepted and do not necessarily mean that people with them are bad people.  My question is,should I even pursue entering this industry and get all the qualifications if I'm just going to be looked at and not given a job because of some art on my arm?
Harland
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:51 PM

well my friend, I can tell you that when I got into this industry, i allready had "sleeves" from my time in the military-nothing on my neck or legs..It did hold me back from getting on some yachts, but I have crewed for 5 yachts so far (currently landlubbing it cause I started a business.. I usually get the "Willing to wear lond sleeves?" and I say only if you buy the shirt..unfortunately there is an "image issue" allthough I have found my work ethic and attitude to be much more professional than the regular looking yachties, and saved 2 from sinking, and on my last gig, the owners liked me so much, they tipped me fat..so it all depends.. alot of captains I dayworked for would tell me "You'll never get on a yacht"..but I've proved all the naysayers wrong! As long as you have a squared away haircut, and if you have a "tache" or "goat" make sure its neatly trimmed..don't take no for an answer or let it discourage you..there is a crew slot out there that has your name on it!!
JakeG
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:11 AM

If your tattoo contains something offensive like a swastica, the confederate flag, nudity, profanity or violent images, then it will probably kill your chances of working on a yacht. If it is an innocent image, then having a tattoo is not going to help you find a job but should not prevent you from getting one if you are willing and able to work hard and get along with your peers and employers (and wear long sleeves if asked to).

Average 0 out of 5