Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Please Help!
Sam_Hudson
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 10:25 AM

Hi all,

I'm 24 and trying to get into the yacht trade. When I was younger I was recruited as an engine officer cadet within the merchant navy but due to being quite young at the time I didnt complete the training.

since then i've been from job to job both on my tools and now in an office and regret completely the decision I made those years ago. What i'm hoping to do is become an engineer on a yacht and hopefully work my way up and build a good relationship with both captain and owner and restart my naval career.

I've looked into training and the best i've found is an 11 week course in the Isle of Man for engineers which seems to cover everything and more. goes from nothing to near Y4 (barring sea time) unfortunately its quite expensive (not in terms of what you get, in that respect its very good value).

£8270 for 11 weeks. unfortunately this kind of money is out of my reach and my diar credit rating doesnt help! could anyone offer me any advice of funding? or anywhere i could get a financial sponsor or even a trainee position on a yacht until i could afford the training.

please help I really want to start moving on this plan, I dont want the rest of my life to be stuck behind a desk in this office! i'm willing to move obviously and will do whatever is required to secure the training or a job on ship I just need a starting block.

thanks for your time guys i look forward to your valued input

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 3:59 PM

If you can get an entry-level deckhand position, you can easily save up the tuition in a year - just save 50-75% of your salary every month.

Do any schools offer payment plans or loans?

The good news is your financial woes won't be forever if you do manage your Y4 - it's a strong career path. Good luck!

Sam_Hudson
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 5:46 PM

cheers for the encouragement what i'm thinking is doing my STCW 95, AEC and get my ENG 1 sort this before next season and make sure by the start of it EVERY one has had my CV lol and as you say save and work

BTW if anyone happens to have a yacht and is looking for an engineer trainee or deckhand please let me know i'd be happy to start as soon as Possible 

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:08 PM
I did one of these courses, and I too had to scrape together the required £8000+. Was it worth it? I'm not sure. The only qualifications you get that can start you off as a yacht engineer are your MCA AEC (around £500 separately) and your STCW 95 basic training (around £600) Everything else is a nice to have, and the only real thing standing in your way to Y4 is service and sea time. By the time you have those, you will have enough money in your pocket to pay for further training.

Dave
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 5:48 PM

I was dicussing this with a few fellow engineers about two years ago as the shortage of good, skilled and liscensed engineers was at it's peak.

We thought about the idea of "sponsering" engineers through their courses financially in return for repayment with (obviously) some return on the investment. The cadidates would be chosen by the group out of people we meet either through dayworkers, deck crew wanting to switch careers or applicants that came across favorably with some shore based skills such as a trade apprenticiship.

The route to becoming an engineer is a long and expensive one but pays off many many times over as you work your way up the ladder.

The risks are obvious. Would the new engineers pay back the money once they had a job even with a so called watertight contract? Would they or could they (various reasons such as family issues or health) complete the training and find a sucsessful career path.

To be honest there was very little interest because it is a long term investment, there is a risk of never seeing your investment again and how much is a reasonable return on money lent over several years?

I would be interested in hearing veiws and opinions on this?

Best of luck as you make your decision!

Dave Shereda

Sam_Hudson
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 7:33 PM

Dave

thanks for your reply, in response i can see your worries about sponsoring however i do feel that in some circumstances it can be benefitial for both parties you get a cheaper trainee and the new comer gets qualifications and experience

the best way i can see would be to have a learners agreement in place ie the trainee accepts a lower pay until the course fees are returned i.e if the trainees course is like the one i posted at £8000, say average monthly salary after this is £1500 then the trainee should accept £1000 until the 8k is payed of at the end of this the captain/cheif can either say goodbye or keep the newly qualified and experienced crewman on at the £1500 also put a clause in the agreement that if the trainee wishes to leave early they are liable for the remainder.

just my opinion anyway would love someone to do that for me would show them as a very good captain. one whom i'd stay with for many years, but then thats me i can't vouch for others so can see your point

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 10:17 PM
Hi Dear, If you can contact M/Y Tuscan Sun they are a great crew and they need new crew so if you want you can start as a deck hand/engineer with them, and them you can do some jobs with the engineer , he is great guy and he will teach you for sure, the last deck/ engineer had that , so you can work , make money and learn from him how to be a engineer and even pay for your courses. good luck
Sam_Hudson
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 1:42 AM

thats fantastic! would you be able to forward me any details for a contact on the yacht?

sam_lowestoft@hotmail.com

anything you can do would be great!!

Average 0 out of 5