Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
STCW 95 from NZ
flyingkiwi
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:33 PM

I did my STCW 95 Basic Training in New Zealand- the training provider was approved by Maritime NZ (our government department for maritime safety)- but I'm having issues about whether it is a valid qualification in Australia. I'm not so worried about not being able to work on Aussie flagged yachts, but would appreciate any feedback as to whether a Maritime NZ endorsement should be a problem on foreign flagged yachts internationally. It seems that MCA endorsed seems to be the industry norm, but I'm sure that the course I did was according to IMO standard, so hopefully it won't be a problem... Any advice from Captains, Kiwi crew currently working with MNZ Certificates, etc greatly appreciated.
Silversurfer
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 6:35 PM

Best thing to do is contact the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (A.M.S.A) at there head office in Canberra, get it straight from the horses mouth. I had a Kiwi stewardess on a vessel in Australia who had completed her STCW & a coxswains course in Aus. When she went back to NZ they gave it the full stamp of approval and bumped her coxswains ticket up to a Kiwi master 5.. This was over ten years ago though. I couldn't see it being any issue. Let us know how you get on
AHoniss
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:18 PM

You should have no problem with working on foriegn flagged vessels with your NZ STCW'95 certifications.  Unlike Australian tickets, NZ certificates are recognised by the UK agencies(hence the number of ozzies doing their tickets in NZ).  Yes there is politics regarding NZ tickets and Australian Vessels (and visa versa), but no problems with other Flags.  All the best with your job hunting.
Kylie Norman
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:35 PM

I did my STCW in New Plymouth with M and O Pacific and haven't had any problems,  I'm currently on a boat which sails South Florida and Bahamas.  I have also done a few courses in the states which you need your STCW95 as a prerequsite and that has been fine too.  It is only the Aussie system which is not inline with everyone else so you shouldn't need to worry about being on foreign flagged boats.
flyingkiwi
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:26 AM

Thanks for your replies, after much to-ing and fro-ing between the AMSA, MNZ, and M & O Pacific (and an e-mail trail long enough to span the Tasman!) I have finally resolved the issue. It seems that the Aussies issue a thing called a COST (certificate of safety training) which is an add on to your STCW 95 training that you send away to them for, and pay a nice fee of course. Then you are ok to work on Aussie vessels, BUT if you didn't train in OZ then you need a Certificate of Recognition, which basically gives you the same rights as if you had a COST. The problem with my certificate was that it was issued by my training provider, and although it states clearly at the bottom that they are Maritime NZ approved, this wasn't good enough for the AMSA. They insisted that they will only recognise certification issued by a flag state authority (in my case Maritime NZ). I am being couriered my third certificate version- yes third!- issued by Maritime NZ and on their stationary,and hopefully this one will be acceptable. My advice, really do your research on STCW training providers, where your certificate will be valid, and whether or not you have to send away or apply for extra endorsements.

Average 0 out of 5