Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
What is the rule on re-taking the STCW 95?
DC
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:26 PM

I am an interior crew member and coming up to the 5 year mark from the time of my first Basic Safety training. Can anyone tell me whether I have to re-do the STCW 95? I've never met any long-term chefs or stews who have, but I am wondering if it does expire?? Another question: If I have my Medical Person in Charge and it is only 3 years old (and I know this needs to be re-done every 5 years), does this exclude me from having to re-do the basic 1 day first aid module of the STCW 95, since the Medical Person in Charge is 2 levels higher? It would be nice not to have to redo the basic, save me a few hundred dollars... Thank you in advance for your help!!
Mike French
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:02 AM

DC You will have to check the details of the certificate you have in order to be sure if there is an expiry. Most basic safety training certs do not have an expiry. The Medical Person in Charge training super cedes the basic safety training standard. So, in short you should not need any further training in order to comply with the STCW 95, save renewing the higher level medical training every five years.
DC
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:20 AM

Thank you very much for the advice- I'll have a look at the expiry dates on the certificates.

Average 0 out of 5