Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Thief On Board!!!
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 9:43 PM

Dear Crew Confessor,

I’m having a serious roommate issue. I room with our chef on board; we’ve always gotten along well, until now.

The other week I borrowed a top from our second stew. I was sure to wash it and when I went to give it back to her I couldn’t find it and seemed to have misplaced it. Later that night the second stew was out with our chef who was wearing the top. Our second stew didn’t say anything to our chef, but she did to me when they got home. I said something to the chef and she said “I’m sorry, I thought it was mine.”  I let the situation drop because I’m not good with confrontation and although I knew she knew it wasn’t hers, it didn’t seem worth the trouble seeing as I got the top and gave it back to the second stew.

But then when I started thinking about it, I’ve noticed that other things of mine have gone missing and I think she might have them! I’m not sure how to go about confronting her and I don’t want to go through her things. Also, I don’t want to go to the captain because if I’m just misplacing things, I don’t want to get her into any unneeded trouble. I feel so awkward. HELP PLEASE!!! I’m really not sure what to do!

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2009 1:59 PM
What sort of things have gone walkies?  I would suggest setting her up.  Leave a few personal items out and mark them discretely - i.e. cut a label in half inside a tshirt, put a spot of marker pen on a make up item etc... then see if you can catch her in the act. 
If you really want to avoid any sort of confrontation, you could say "Have you seen my XYZ? I know I left it in here." a FEW times... then she might get the hint that you´re on to her and keep her thieving mitts to herself. 
Failing that, steal some of her stuff. 

Crew Confessor
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2009 8:30 PM

Dear Crime Victim,

You have my sympathies, having a sticky fingered crewmate is not just awkward, it can be downright demoralizing. Compounding this feeling is the fact that you share a cabin with her.

Have you noticed other odd or unusual behaviors by this woman? Depression? Anxiety? Mood swings?

It is very possible that your crew mate is suffering from a mental disorder. There is one school of thought that suggests that stealing of this sort (things she doesn't really need, and could easily afford to buy herself) can be an expression of bi-polar disorder. This condition can be successfully treated with the proper medications.

Another possibility is that she suffers from kleptomania. Someone with this disorder experiences an irresistible urge/impulse to steal something that is not truly needed, usually preceded by a surge in anxiety and excitement. When the theft is actually taking place the thief feels a sense of release or pleasure, a "high."

It is not uncommon for kleptomaniacs to feel very guilty about what they have done, and often will hide the things they have stolen or secretly return them. Kleptomania is often treated with medications and/or psychological therapy.

Now, I understand that you don't feel comfortable going to the captain but, if you are certain that you are missing things you must. It is not your place to go routing through her personal possessions, but the captain has every right to. It does sound as if she might likely have a mental disorder, and it is vital that she receive treatment for her own sake. If she were to be caught shoplifting ashore she could be in terrible trouble. Should her sticky fingers ever wander into a guest cabin and avail themselves of the goods she finds there the entire crew would be placed in jeopardy. It would be quite possible that wrong person could be accused in such a case, making the situation even worse.

Of course she could be a simple thief, but it appears she almost wants to be caught (wearing the top on a crew outing), and this leads me to believe she is suffering from something more than just clothing envy.

A private meeting with the captain is in order.

Your Crew Confessor
Debbie
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:53 AM

Crew Confessor, hi there.

[comment removed by moderator]

Please spare me, the original poster of this thread, and the may or may not be a thief-roommate too.  Just because one is suffering from a mood/psychotic disorder does not mean they suffer from being a theif. I'm guessing that for the most part, people steal based upon thier own narcissism and anti social feelings toward others...that and greed.

To the original poster, for what's worth, ditto for the first reply. 

Moreover, I've rarely dealt with theft, thank goodness. But I've always managed to hide imporant and expensive things while on freelance if I must bring them..like an Ipod and extra money.

Sure, I've had roomies use my hair dryer, cosmetics..which is sort of stealing. But I've learned not to bring or leave expensive stuff in plain site...because you may never know who really may be the culprit. It may or may not be who you think.

[comment removed by moderator]

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:47 PM
Okay, here's another for you. I work with a stew who I really like. We get along well and work well together. However, I know that she steals from the boat. She'll put personal items on the boat card. She'll take bottles of wine from ship's stores to go visit with friends on other boats. But what's worst, she steals medicine from the guests. And she is really proud of herself when she does it. After the guests leave, she tell me "I got 6 ambien from him or 2 oxycotin from her." Like it is something noble. I think it is a serious charachter flaw, but it's hard to find crew that you can get along with as well as we get along so I have learned to overlook her sticky fingers. The way I see it, no one is perfect. I suppose one day she will be caught, but until then I hear no evil, see no evil or speak no evil.
aeronautic1
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:56 PM

Two words - Blanket Party
LeAnn
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:35 AM

To anyone who steals;
There is only one thing to do with you and that is to rid you of your job and give it to someone who would really appreciate having a job.
I refuse to diagnosis a thief with some disorder, giving them some kind of excuse for taking advantage of others.
To many people are out there looking for a job for you to exercise your five finger discount giving the rest of us a bad name.
Thank God you don't work on a vessel with me because I would put your career in yachting out of service.
To anyone who is taken advantage of by a common thief, 
REPORT IT!!!.
For those of you who know that someone is stealing on board your vessel,

SLEEP WITH YOUR EYES WIDE OPENED!
Their most likely stealing from you too.
Friends or no friends,
work well together or not,
you are guilty by association if you see it, hear it, but do not speak of the evil.
Shame on you!

Gwyn
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:57 AM

For thieves and those alike;
 If you worked on my boat you not only would get fired, but I'd turn you into the police...
 The perfect job for you  is picking up trash on the highways, wearing those fashionable stripped uniforms...
Those of you whom enable this behavior would lose your job for not speaking up.
Come on people, DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!! If you don't, consider yourself a future victim...
I'd Love to crew on a vessel with LeAnn!!

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:36 AM
Your room mate by chance is not Timothy XXXXXXXXX. He was recorded going through crews wallet's and purse's last year and it was posted on you tube. They used the camera on there Laptops to film him
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:23 PM

[Comment removed by moderator]

Lori
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:57 PM

Absolutely!!! Well-put LeAnn !!! And, yes, I do know Poster LeAnn . . . . she is definitely a gal who everyone could be so fortunate to work with!
ChaseTheWoodGuyFL
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:23 PM

You know who I dislike more then thieves, NO ONE!!!!

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 3:43 AM
whats the youtube link to that?
Genevieve
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:27 PM

Great comments LeAnn

Average 4 out of 5