Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
The World's Best Marina
Janine
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:38 PM

The article Mama Marina in the June 2009 issue of Dockwalk offers a 12-point checklist for the perfect marina for crew.

These points include:

1. Accessible to the sea

2. Adjacent to town

3. On-site customs and immigration

4. Free from surge

5. Well laid out

6. Free Wi-Fi for all

7. Motivated marina staff

8. Excercise options

9. Friendly locals

10. Fabulous flowers and provisions

11. Affordable grub and beer

12. Something extra

Which marinas are your favorite and how do they stack up? Are there really any 12-point marinas out there?

kdhguard00
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:00 PM

I would have to say that all of those points boil down to two points regarding "good" marinas:

1) Does the marina make it easier for me to do my job?

2) Does the marina make it easier for me to have a life?

Unfortunately, these two points are often at odds with each other.  Usually the best marinas for having a life are close to town, which usually means, not a new facility with all the latest ameneties.  Security can be minimal.  The structures can be small, run-down and just plain dirty.  But as far as location goes, these can't be beaten. Some examples: Pier 46 in Palma and Palapa Marina in St. Maarten.

As for the other end of the spectrum, there are those marinas which have endeavored to bring the world to your passarelle.  They bring everything but the charter guests to you.  Cars can easily drive down the docks.  Resident varnishers, provisioners and dayworkers await your beck and call.  Alas, they tend to be further away from the heart of the locale, springing up after the founding fathers planted roots.  Some examples:  Club de Mar in Palma and Port de Tarragona Marina, south of Barcelona.

So, the answer depends on my frame-of-mind: work or play!

junior
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 1:36 PM

As far as your  point number one....... Accessible to the sea.     I couldnt agree more. 

This new trend of purpose built  luxury  Mega yacht Marinas located  far from the sea is becoming  all to common.  I was just thinking of that  new superyacht marina east of Kathmandu   we visite each year,  you know the one that you have to portage your superyacht for three weeks, on the backs of thousands of Sherpa guides, over hundreds of  kilometers of washed out rocky mule tracks. To much trouble, hard on the Awlgrip ....Give it a pass. Same goes for  the  new Megayacht marine they are building into the cliff  faces of Tora Bora..........

AllyJ
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 3:17 PM

In 2001 I wrote a letter to Carol Dudley, Manager of Crown Bay Marina in St Thomas saying that every time we left and came back, I was reminded how fantastic Crown Bay was - for all the reasons listed below - and then some! The letter to my best knowledge is still hanging in the office and the fabulous standards set by Carol and her team remain firmly in place.

Fantastic approach with access from the south and east (smaller vessels); a walk along the waterfront to town;  with advance notice Crown Bay will have customs and immigration come directly to your vessel;  there is absolutely no surge whatsoever;  on site wifi; the staff is not only motivated but always courteous and polite - to the extent that you can't even walk form the grocery store without someone offering to carry your bags back to the boat; while you are "in residence" you get a reduced membership to the gym which is literally a two minute stroll from the marina; Are the locals friendly? Try leaving a bag with $1,300-00 in cash in a taxi and having it returned to one of the marina cab drivers by the driver who brought you back, saying "Mitch, I believe I carried this lady yesterday and I' ve seen her with you!!!" That deserves serious accolades all on it's own! Flowers are a walk away and they of course deliver and the Gourmet Gallery on site can't be beat for provisioning, friendliness and fantastic service. Tickles is a great eating spot day and night and on the weekends, a dinghy ride over to Water Island takes you to one of the best beaches in the Virgin Islands along with some great grub from the Beach Bar.

Besides this, you get a complimentary newspaper and a condensed version of the New York Times delivered to your boat each day. Taxis are on site. There is a fuel dock on site and the marina, it's showers and facilities are always spotless. On site security and parking are a further advantage.

Thank you Crown Bay.

brad
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:04 PM

Good Morning from Sunrise Harbor Marina,

Aurora will be departing us for a passage to Europe for the summer, we wish Capt. Grant and the crew a safe passage.

Arriving back to our docks on 6/10 will be "Outback", she will  also be getting ready for a departure to Europe for the summer.

We invite all to come and get a tour of our property.

Contact Dockmaster Mike Voelker or Brad St. Coeur to make arrangements !!!!

Have a Great day !!!

Average 0 out of 5