Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Medical Person in Charge- is it worth it for a stew?
Bonnie
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:32 PM

I am a Stewardess and have just finished up on my last yacht and have a little down time now. I am thinking of doing the Medical Person in Charge course to increase my chances of employment. I am wondering if this will make me more employable versus the cost? I know most yachts need to have one person with this certification and I am guessing the Captain would usually have it. So not sure if it would actually make me more employable as a Stewardess? Which school do you think offers the best course? Or any another suggestions on what educational courses a Stewardess can do to increase their value!?

Dr Ken
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:19 PM

Hello Bonnie - we get students on our courses who need their certificate for the next step in bureaucratic career progression (but we try to make it fun for them as well as tick boxes!) - some other folk are planning epic voyages and just want to be better placed to help each other when needed -  we also get folk who want to develop an extra string to their bow and support the senior officers particularly if one of them becomes the patient!  The last one sounds like you and medical skill is one niche although I see the occasional stewardess who is developing other skills such as wine expertise.

There are medical courses in most yachting centres - you can find ours on www.clubdemarmedical.com in Palma de Mallorca - we are MCA approved and run the Medical First Aid course which leads on to the Medical Care course (Ship's Captain's as was)

Hope that helps.

Ken 

Miki Brettschneider
Posted: Saturday, May 9, 2009 7:20 PM

It is very much worth it. I did that course at MPT in Fort lauderdale, and I do consider it very important for all crewmembers.
Chef Peter
Posted: Saturday, May 9, 2009 10:27 PM

You do not need to have it unless called upon by the hiring boat to take the course.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 2:59 PM

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 3:00 PM
Bonnie, It is a great couse and you can never tell, the life you save may be your own as you tell someone who hasn't had the the course what to do to save yours.
Henning
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:25 AM

It would be a plus with me if I was interviewing you. It shows me you are willing to take on responsibility above and beyond your job description. If you were a full Paramedic, that would really say something, plus it would broaden your options outside the yachting arena. The captain being the MPIC is a bit stupid, because in those times, I'm busier than the proverbial one legged man at an ass kicking contest coordinating evacuation and medical services ashore and all the rest of the stuff.

Average 0 out of 5