Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Fort Lauderdale or Antibes?
Rose
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 4:28 AM

I'm getting mixed advice from crew agencies about where I should get myself to, Fort Lauderdale or Antibes. I've been a yachtie for a few years but have never had to relocate to get a job before this season and am feeling a bit overwhelmed! Anyone have some thoughts on which one I should head to...please...
Miki Brettschneider
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 6:20 PM

Your first consideration is cost of living in the area, then time that you will be there till you find a job and since you have been in yachting for some time you should be able to decide which place provides you with the cheapest living expence and where the yachts or agencies are in that area.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 3:55 AM

Do you really think any place offers better chances? The job market is slow everywhere and that is across the board, for every job onboard.

Unless you’re doing yachting because you love it, I’d give it away for a season or two and invest in training and take on short jobs.

When the industry takes a dive it lasts for a year or two and showing dedication to your career and looking to the future is a good idea.

I’ve always dropped cash into education and always managed to get work even in the toughest of times. Making yourself more versatile helps make you recession proof and in the mean time if a great job comes along you can always take it because the way course modules are arranged.

If you plan to make yachting a career think of the future, and if you want just a job join the queue and be prepared to wait and have no plan.

Average 0 out of 5