Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Word on the street Antibes 09
Dawntreader II
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:37 AM

Hello Everyone out there!

If there's any crew out there reading this post who're on the ground in Antibes at the moment looking for work, in between waiting in line at the crew agencies and flogging your wares on the docks can you give us all on the WWW an insight into what the feeling is like on the ground. Will crew this year just be contributing to the local Antibes economy or will are the still a good flow of boats picking up crew?

No offence to anyone but before anyone feels like replying with a generic update on how miserable the economy is at the moment, can you please save this conversation for the guy who you buy your coffee from in the morning. He probably isn't interested either but at least he gets paid to hear it. I think its safe to say we all read the news and are sufficiently aware of what's going on in the non-yachting world thanks.

Any news, good or bad would be well received!

Jesman
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:45 AM

I'm not sure what other boats are doing, but it would make sense to me if they are doing the same thing we are. Just getting am extra deckhand and stew for the season, may-september, its a cheaper way to go for the boats, so maybe there will be a pick up very soon. Crew will be staying on the boats longer so getting more experienced, moving up and opening up new opportunities for younger, less experienced crew maybe, but as i said it wouldn't surprise me if there were a lot of temporary jobs going around at the moment.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:28 PM
There are A LOT of people with no experience in Antibes walking around the boats and ensuring the agencies have queues all the way down the pavements.  I was looking for a Stewardess with at least 6 months experience for my boat.  I recieved almost 100 cvs - including from people walking past - and only 6 of them were worth looking at.
If you are new to the industry I wouldn't recommend coming.....there are already a heap of greenies to choose from if a boat requires someone like that.
Blue Water had 40 BRAND NEW Deckhands signing up - with no experience but STCW 95 - in ONE morning last week.
If you are an experiened Stewardess, then I would advise coming.....all the other candidates have nothing.

Anyway, that's a really honest view of Antibes right now and I've been in the loop as I've been searching for around 8 weeks for an experienced Stewardess and have a few friends who are looking for work.

Sorry it's not better news for the new folk......best of luck to you all.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 4:10 PM
I'm an experienced bosun / mate in Antibes and can't find squat - At least I had plenty of daywork in Fort Lauderdale and the weather was descent - I'm afraid I've gone from the frying pan into the fire - I'm thinking of flying back to the states
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 5:12 PM

I'm a greenie and to be honest the post above sounds about right.... there are quite a few experienced people walking around and it is far more likely they are going to get a job before we are. The trouble is I really really want this and money is running out fast.... It's quite depressing walking the docks day after day knowing that you will walk home with nothing again. I've been talking to quite a few other people in the mornings and they seem to feel the same. I'd be happy simply doing some day work to keep me here until things finally pick up but there is nothing.

Dawntreader II
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 1:59 AM

Thanks everyone for the great responses!

Although the news isn't great for anyone hoping to enter the industry this year. We'll see what the feel is following the Med season

Average 0 out of 5