Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Menus
victoriaallman
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:30 PM

I don't know about you, but one of the hardest parts of my job is deciding what to cook tomorrow. I'd like to suggest a menu sharing/brainstorming exchange. I'll go first; Today for crew lunch I made: Moroccan Chicken B'stillas, Roasted Tomatoes Stuffed w/ Tuna, Roasted Peppers and Black Olives, Bulger and Chickpea Salad w/ Fresh Mint, Parsley and Lemon, and Greens tossed w/ Preserved Lemons and Cherry Tomatoes (All from Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey and Lebanon by Claudia Roden) Dinner: Tuna and Salmon Sushi, Beef Yakitori, and Soba Noodle Stirfry ***I have no guests at the moment so this menu was easier to accomplish than mid-charter and kept me interested in the midst of the shipyard period
victoriaallman
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:54 AM

And today's lunch was Chicken Burgers w/ Sauteed Mushrooms and Romesco Sauce, a Warm Goat Cheese, Pinenut and Spinach Salad and a Salt Cod Potato Salad (we are in Spain where Salt Cod is everywhere) What did you make?
monback
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:35 PM

Well, in Ibiza lunch went like this...Last night took a piece of regular Eroski center beef ,sliced it up thin ,put it into a bowl of Balsamic vinegar, teaspoon of colemans hot  mustard and a bit of ginger then  let it hide out in the refer overnight.  At lunch  I popped  the good stuff into a hot fry pan with some chunks of onoin and green pepper, big cloud of smoke shot thru the galley, alarms went off but  it cooked fast.  Nice and tender,  juicy.    piled it on top of rice and served with a two day old, jawbreaker Eroski Center poppy roll...forgot to buy salad so just chopped up a tomato....not bad for a captain.  Threw the chef overboard a few weeks ago, Barracuda took care of her real good, still see her flip flops hung up in my mooring line,   these things happen.  Next meal is a TUNA flare off......watch for smoke clouds rising over Ibiza around noon.
ash
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:22 PM

I am lucky enough to be in an area where we can bbq. Consiquently, we now bbq once a week (off charter). It feels like a night off! I just marinade some meat, get out the sausages and steaks and sit back while the Australian and South African deckies fight it out over who is the greatest bbq-er or brii-er! Perfect... even if it is raining at the moment!

victoriaallman
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:53 PM

Mmm...good idea. BBQ is perfect on a boat with crew. I'll steal that idea for tomorrow night.
Chef Peter
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:15 PM

Vic, that meal you made for the crew....jeeesh are they spoiled, if you made the Chicken Bastilla from scratch...that itself is alot of work....I had the crew make a list of everything they like to eat, they all are on some kinda diet....I try to make exactly what they want....but deciding what to cook, you hit it on the head it is very difficult, there is always one complainer huh???
Chef Peter
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:20 PM

Todays Lunch was fresh ground Cheddar burgers from the left over chain meat from a prime beef tenderloin and some prime ribeye meat trim, toasted French burger roll, mandolin sliced sweet red onion, plum tomato sliced, romaine lettuce leaves, tri-colored hand tossed pasta salad, pesto chicken caesar salad, iceberg-tomato-cucumber salad with savory grilled chicken on top, and for dinner, Chicken curry with rice blend, haricot vert, patty pan, baby zucchini, broccoli florets, green and yellow sqaush skewererd with prime beef tenderloin, green pepper, red onion and savory herb-spiced rub.....whew and if that aint enough pasta primavera with a vodka sauce drizle, fresh baked baguette, whipped herb butter and a dinner salad of baby greens, toasted pine nuts, tomato, Parmesan ribbons and a balsamic glaze and fresh made basil oil finished with fresh cracked black pepper......do tell me all about it.....they want variety.....blaaaaaaaaaaammmmm how do you like me now!!!  Thanks for letting me vent Vic...see you on the Sea! Chef Peter Z!
victoriaallman
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:48 AM

Yes, variety seems to be the key. Mind you the more you give the pickier (sp?) some seem to get. I am lucky enough to be in an extended yard period, so I have all day to cook for crew and play with new recipes...today's lunch was a seafood salad ceviche with shrimp, calamari, mussels and scallops, a chicken, black bean and mango salad and cilantro rice. We are in Spain so seafood is cheap but I wish it were less time consuming--peeling enough prawns for a crew of ten alone can take up most of the morning. Now on to dinner...
volochef
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 8:30 PM

Hey Victoria---

While you're in Spain... how about a paella rounded out with a few tapas, and a Valencia orange-scented flan to finish? A large paella pan might be a nice thing to have on board for crew and guests... no shortage of theatre in presentation!

David

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 9:34 PM
Careful chefs! In these days of cutting expenses and economizing, getting too extravagant with crew meals could be a negative. How about some economical but healthy suggestions?
victoriaallman
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 8:24 AM

The economy of cooking for crew is a good point and one that I have watched carefully. The "industry standard", if you will, is $15.00 per day per crew. I have found that by cutting out the expensive pre-made junk food and by shopping at the markets every morning instead of using a provisioner I can easily achieve this goal (and most months fall under budget) without sacrificing the crew food. I make a lot of variety of things and use leftovers in soups and meat pies. On Wednesday nights we have "left-over" night to use everything up and clear the fridge so I can start cooking again. This system has worked very well, pleasing crew and the owners with my budget.
victoriaallman
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 8:27 AM

Good idea David! We've enjoyed going out for paella so much here that I have avoided making it as not to overload the palate. But you are right, it is perfect for crew and for the buffet lunches for guests. I'm going out to buy a pan this afternoon...
junior
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:16 AM

Yes indeed, Its Sunday.  In Spain that means Paella......
junior
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:28 AM

Oh by the way if your in Palma, have a walk over to the fish market underneath Casa Eduardo , at 6 am monday thru friday and check out what type of fish is in season.  Much of what you buy  in the markets are frozen fish from far off places.
  After you get a look at the fish, come back in the afternoon and make reservations upstairs at Casa Eduardo, its a simple seafood restaurant with the best bouillabaisse in the world.  Dress well and mind your manners, the King of Spain eats here.

Average 5 out of 5