Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Most expensive place to spend the night
Kate
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 9:45 PM

Our next issue (June) focuses on marinas and moorings and I'm curious...what is the most expensive place you've ever tied up? And how about the costs of moorings? I hear that they're charging for moorings in more places in the Med now.
monback
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 11:28 PM

That's a good question. Only the charter brokers and yacht agents can answer you.  I have a 35 meter by 8 meter berth available for rent during high season in the western med. At present  charter brokers are bidding against each other to gain control of this berth  for the summer season. The charter agents  are chasing me with brown envelopes containing 10 grand for my personal use,  if I  choose them as the lucky ones..    The present bidding is 5 euro per square meter.  35X8 equals 1400 euro per night. Charter brokers don't rent slips  to  their clients out of charity,  so I would imagine that they are reselling the berth for say 8 euro per square meter per night..... figure   35meter x 8 meter equals 2240 euro per night,   plus electric and water and tax.
    At present a 35 meter berth, if you can find one, is quoted locally  by the agents at  230,000 euro for a 4 month summer rental.  Maybe more.  Off season berth rental drops down to nothing.  Again, you must  ask your charter broker,  they are the ones driving the rates and double dipping their  loyal customers. Remember to leave a good tip..

Dont believe me, again ask your favorite  charter broker or read this, the local newspaper.

http://www.diariodeibiza.es/secciones/noticia.jsp?pRef=2008061500_2_252509__Pitises-i-Balears-Amarristas-Ibiza-Nueva-emprenden-judicial-contra-Semar-Puertos

monback
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 11:38 PM

Oh by the way, if you bid 250,000 euro, Id be willing to give you the berth for a full 6 months. Ive got some sailing to do.    Contact me.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 12:38 AM
This is rather shocking Monback, I had no idea the charter brokers would be leasing space and then subletting it back to their own clients, very clever but can this be ethical? I guess one could argue that they were leasing the space up front as a service to their clients, so that the yachts they book have space, but with a commodity in such high demand, the temptation to price gouge is too great for them.
monback
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 9:55 AM

The way a berth works in many places is like this.  You, a private investor purchase the berth.  The berth next to me is for sale at 1.4 million euro for a ten year lease.  You never outright own a berth, only long term lease.
 . Once you acquire the berth you can either park your yacht in it or if your just an investor, you will probably give it to the marina office to manage. A marina charges a fixed  published fee for rental.
   As you walk down to the marina office with your new berth title you will have to run the gauntlet of Yacht brokers and charter agents who  offer to pay cash upfront for sole access to your berth. You take their money, then the Broker controls access to the berth.  This broker then contacts another party called an agent. The agent advertises and rents the berth  to you.  The transaction goes.. Private berth owner, Broker, Agent before the berth gets to your  yacht.  You will never know which Charter broker, yacht Broker controls the berth, they remain hidden because you as the customer deal directly with the agent.

In the marina that Im presently located, the official slips managed by the marina office are fully booked up for the next 5 years.  You cannot come. But the marina is not full ? Plenty of empty space but you must know the phone number of the agent.  If you dont have the phone number to contact this agent, then you must contact another agent to contact the agent who knows the Broker who sublet the berth from the owner.  This  Broker, agent mafia charges whatever the market will tolerate.   They know well that Your charter guests have no choice but blow 2500 euro a night to check out the nightlife in town during high season. 
   Its the way the world turns.  Many new marinas are now prohibiting the practice of subletting slips, all berths stay in the hands of the Marina management. This can only be good news. One of the reasons the purchase price of the berth got so inflated was because of this triangular mafia

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 7:36 PM
Interesting stuff Monback, damn that's expensive. Is it just a European thing? 
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 8:33 PM
Try getting a slip in Nantucket during high season if your boat doesn't have a reputation for being a "good tipper."
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 5:04 PM

I am running a 92' M/Y. My boss is cheap. I have been able to find monthly dockage for as little as $1300/m in most places if you pay in advance, from New England to the Caribbean. Even IGY is starting to give great deals, everything has become negotiable, even dockage with the way the economy is. I think places have gotten way too greedy over the past ten years. Marinas started raising prices and then charging fees for services that used to be a courtesy. There has been little improvment to the facilities to justify these costs, in fact Hurricane hole is falling apart with no maintenance being done but just because Atlantis owns it they think they can get four times the dockage fees. The tipping has gotten out of control as well. All huge tips do is set a president that not all yacht owners can afford. Large tips have become expected by marina staff and dock masters instead of earned.

The most I have ever paid per night is $2500 in MV for a 100' yacht. Ouch!

ash
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:56 AM

What sort of amounts or percentage or fees are we talking, in regards to tipping the marina staff?

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 7:52 PM
I don't leave tips at marinas.  They already charge enough.  Tips are reserved for commercial or public ports were the harbormaster must put up with a bit of fuss to squeeze us in. Generally 10 percent.  Sometimes the port fees are so low that 20 dollars is far greater than 10 percent of the nightly charge.  A 20 does the trick. I never go higher.   The people that contaminated the scene are the big motoryachts who started to mindlessly throw money around. Not much you can do about it other than avoid those ports.

Average 0 out of 5