Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
IYT school in New Zealand?
jezza83
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 1:51 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know of an IYT school in NZ to do the Ocean qualification and also the OOW (or at least some of the modules?) I keep reading and hearng that there is an IYT school in NZ but their official website doesn't mention it...

Cheers

nzminx
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 2:40 AM

Hiya I'm not sure where to do OOW but Mahurangi Technical Institute in Warkworth (North of Auckland) do these RYA courses.

RYA/MCA Coastal Skipper
 RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore 
 RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Ocean.

Hope someone else knows where OOW can be done?!

Chris Taylor - IYT World
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 7:25 PM

Hi

Unfortunately there is no IYT School in NZ.
Some of the NZ training may be be accepted for OOW but i am not sure what the MCA will accept.
GMDSS, CPSC and RB and the Medical First Aid I am pretty sure are accepted.
Hope this helps

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 7:17 AM
Get your RYA, don't be so concerned about finding an IYT school, they kind of created that to sound like the RYA.
Chris Taylor - IYT World
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:59 PM

Not strictly true.

IYT required completion of the whole course, dioes not allow challenging the exam. IYT required STCW Basic Safety Training, RYA still does not. IYT has professional seafarers as examiners, the RYA not.

Until IYT set up the RYA  restricted  where you could take a final exam, in the UK and a few chosen locations. The RYA now has followed IYT.

AHoniss
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:50 AM

New Zealand Maritime School, based in Auckland  offers Master and Mate 500T and 3000T. Once completed, you then arrange for examiner from england to complete your certificate.  The courses can be done in module form over a few years if you don´t want to be ashore for a long time.  NZ maritime school offers All STCW courses as well as all Foriegn going certificates.  www.maritime.ac.nz

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:52 AM
And all its courses are MCA approved. [comment removed by moderator], best and cheapest schooling is as the above poster says.

Average 3 out of 5