Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
What Does MCA Want?
canakaltan
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:38 PM

It has been four years since i have been working in yachting industry. I used to work on merchant ships before yachts. I studied nautical science for five years, had twelve monthes sea time as a cadet and passed my examinations in order to work as an officer on a merchant ship. The licence i have is an unlimited oceangoing watchkeeping licence recognized by International Maritime Organization (IMO) and is valid in all merchant ships in all waters. But it is not recognized by MCA! I can work on a British flagged container ship; but i can not work on a 30 m. British flagged charter yacht.

I really wonder if MCA approaches in the same way to the British officers who are graduated from maritime academies. I also wonder if there are some others like me, suffering from MCA in the industry.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 3:09 AM

welcome to a British regulated and controlled industry while taking in American money.

welcome to yachting.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 7:14 AM

Ah, poor American.  I feel sooo sorry for you.  Mighty flaw in your lament is that the US$ isn't worth very much anymore, especially in Europe. 

I'm no fan of the MCA but please forget the protectionist crap; if you don't like the system invent a better one.  At least you lot can pass MCA exams, even in the US. 

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 10:08 AM
get used to it. The MCA are hard and ruthless, dont try and buck this system because you will be beating your head with a blunt hammer, I have Aussie Qualifications 10 yrs seatime chartering, and they would rather give a chamois technician with 50 days seatime the same or higher quals, they are old british merchant seaman at the MCA and they only do it their way. And there courses are of a much lesser standard than Australia. work it out..... not
monback
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 10:46 AM

If you want to break the MCA you must crack down on all the Red ensign tax shelters.  This is what gives the MCA power

Average 5 out of 5