Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Newbie's newbie
Jean
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 10:27 AM

Hi everyone.

Am NEW here, just joined! Barely new in the industry as a Stew, 3 years..and am based in Dubai, UAE. I signed up because i wanna be knowledgeable of the industry's in and outs, you know Dubai is not that big yet in yachting although 30% of yacht owners come from Middle East they say. I wanna expand my network and eventually have friends with the same interests, aside from i could ask for advices in cases of needing more professional and sensible approach on the things related to what we do. I also dream of working either in the Med or in the Carribean, so maybe this could be a start. I hope to hear from anyone of you and gain friends through this.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 11:40 AM
Difficult to stay in touch,  network and meet new people around the yachts.  Very transient.  The traditional way was to schedule your vacation time so that you can travel to the worlds great yachting events.  Walk around  Les Voiles de St Tropez in Oct and you will run into everyone...even  long lost shipmates.  Also try Antigua Race week.  As far as Motorboats, well, you will have to ask a Motorboat type.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:12 PM

I think it used to be hard to keep in touch. These days with skype and websites like dockwalk and facebook, i find it much easier to keep up with friends with in and outside of yachting... and my family too.

dockwalk has this pretty sweet feature where theres' a map on your dockwalk page and you can see who else is around you... there are these like little bubble things... I mean have you tried clicking on your area ... you said dubai... and seeing if anyone else is around there? thats one way to meet up with people...

Dubaiyachtie
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:24 PM

Hi. Thanks to you both for taking time replying to my post.

Considering where i am now, do you think i can land a Stew job either in the Med or Carribean? What should i prepare, req'ts, etc. Pls help. Thanks

junior
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:01 PM

Be careful with the Caribbean.  Season was slow and its coming home time.  The Med means Antibes or Palma. My next door neighbor just hired crew this week so the season has begun.  Remember that the economy is a bit slow, be wise with demands and frugal  with expenses.
 I prefer Palma because its cheaper, more friendly and every boat is within walking distance. A bicycle is your friend.  Antibes implies the South of France, very many yachts, very many jobs spread over a long coast.  Nice place France, great food and many crew prefer it.  Your choice. 
   As a stewardess you need only bring a smile and a good attitude. You might start making a few calls to crew agents to catch the vibes and remember that one of the beauties of the great yacht centers  like Antibes is that agents are not necessary.  Crew simply show up daily to the yacht asking for work or  meeting fellow crew  and asking who is looking..   I have no need to  hire stewardess's from  halfway around the world when there are plenty available locally,  I doubt that you can get a job without being present.  To competitive.

For France try putting an advert in the local English paper Riviera Reporter today, its on the net, used to be free.

Palma, try giving Simon at the Escape bar a ring or email and ask him to put a note on his board..  Simon runs a crew agent for Chefs...think its called Elite Chefs, he knows the scene.

Always remeber sites like findacrew   list location as Palma or Antibes.

Average 0 out of 5