Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
The Role of the Media in Crewing
jonezee
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2009 11:53 PM

“Business is Business but what is the expanding role of the Media in the SuperYacht Industry”

When faced with a marketing email from a well known and respected magazine indicating that they are now entering the recruitment industry one has to question the expanding role of the media in the Super yacht industry. In particular the “Yacht reports” new subsidiary business under the guise of superyachtjobs.com.

The email circulated as a “Dear Captain” requested 150 Euro in return you would receive lists of “crew seeking work” and one presumes resumes and an introduction. -  Traditionally the Media’s role in our industry and the world at large was to provide informative articles, editorial and a Glossy magazine with an advertising platform for the industry it was serving.

Today in this exciting world of the internet it now it appears that the role of the Media is driven by seeking profit centres at any cost and recruitment will not be the only sector of the SuperYacht industry that the Media will soon be eating into and homing its sights on !

The Yacht Reports agenda is unknown at this time but clearly as they move into this sector of the industry an astute editor will defend its position vigorously and will no doubt justify its move. However the simple truth is that the “pursuit of profit” is the agenda and as the media gains more and more control over the industry through the use of “personal data” we are now experiencing the first stage of the Media’s expansion.

As Professional crew, highly trained and skilled are you comfortable allowing a Media organisation distribute your resumes, publish them to the world at large or pass on to whoever they see fit? It bears thinking about that your valuable private information, Career path, references and passport details can and will be sold while you are looking for that next professional position. ?

The Media plays an important role in our industry and unfortunately this is the first step of the Media taking control of a fantastic industry, around the corner the Media will be moving into other profit centres which will probably scare the pants off all of us!!!   

We are sure that the editors will say “Business is Business” and if we want to make a profit out of crew, then so be it……………………

Does anyone know what else the Media will be doing in the future ??

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 1:49 AM

The media is basically about power, money, and control. What is new, my friend?

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 1:51 AM
Don't a lot of crew agencies advertise in their publications? Could be a very costly mistake on their part.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 4:32 AM
You'd think, in this economy they would be thinking of innovative ways to support their advertisers, not compete with them. Oh well.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 8:37 AM

Its a power trip thing.  They want to place themselves as  the  big boy, gotta come to me.  Naturally the media is their chosen vector.   You must always remember that influence peddlers like crew agents or Yacht Reports were typically yacht captains in their past career.  When it became time to retire  and  move ashore captains, or chief stews for that matter, soon realize that they have completely lost their status and power.  Civilians.  They must use the media to inform everyone ... Im still here. 

Have no doubt about the powertrip.  Retired captains  struggle to find  their place ashore with a limited skill set.    No longer can they blow away any problem by simply manning the owners cash cannon and firing.  Who will hire someone like that ?   As Captains they held the ultimate power...either you kiss my butt or you are on the dock unemployed. This might be a handy skill in Africa but the wife and kids wont make the move south.   The only way to recover this power is to morph into a waterfront influence peddler such as a a crew agent, then once again you hold hundreds, maybe thousands of crew under your command. 

Find a job ashore that pays 10 grand a month ?   I doubt it, I frequently here from shipyard managers that ex captains approach them to advise on refit work and demand ridiculous sums.  What you are seeing is their only way out.    I would  imagine that at a 150 a pop ,times 100's ,  it is profitably.  Another profit stream on top of the crew house real estate.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 4:52 PM
Mags and newspapers have always relied on Ads for there income. That's their business. They have always been filled with ads for people who are seeking a job or have a vacancy. And now the media have realized they need to move online to sell ads and stay in business. Its a sensible commercial decision  - its called 'progress'. Whats the big deal?
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 5:27 PM
It appears that the publication in question has stepped beyond the line of simply selling ads to people looking for employment and to those with jobs available; to acting as a repository of proprietary information and behaving in an agency capacity, albeit a no frills, bare bones service model of one. This appear quite different than the ads that crew place themselves (for free often) in publications such as this one, as well as the ads (again often free) placed by captains or owners seeking to fill a position.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 6:22 PM

I decided to check out the website to see what all the fuss was about and when I was looking around I came across the career path's section http://superyachtjobs.com/careerpaths.asp. It features a man and woman both in their underclothes. Then there are arrows that show their career paths in yachting based on outfits they would wear. The woman can be one of three things: Chef, Stew, Chief Stew. The Man: Engineer or Deckhand up through Captain. I found it extremely offensive and sexist. Granted, when you click on the Captain they do show the man and woman, but it certianly doesn't look like an option from the begining. I think that's just plain ridiculous!

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 6:44 PM
Tork...another ex yacht captain.  The site wants to be a clearinghouse.  The forum is weak, grumpy old men.  Dockwalk is ten times better.   Revenue is advertising.  More clicks and eyes...more revenue.  Stay away, many agents on the net....try findacrew.  Basic and simple.  Why do they need a hundred different sites doing the same job ? Best to let them die out now so an overall class beater can emerge.
jonezee
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 8:35 PM

Your right – I went to http://superyachtjobs.com/careerpaths.asp and it is defiantly a discriminatory illistration - a publication like Yacht report should know what you can or cannot say or illustrate in any responsible website……. There are many instances where they publish gender related Jobs, which really needs to be “self regulated” – for instance they advertise for a “Chief Stewardess” which again contravenes anti-discrimination laws throughout the western world. – They need to pull there socks up ! or perhaps pull thier fishnets up !! – which editor manages the content of the site ????
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2009 2:34 PM
I am not sure why this is a problem, almost every media company in the world offers the opportunity to post recruitment ads within their print and digital media propositions, and every media company in the world is profit driven...are these crimes against yachting...?

To clarify the possible confusion;

The Yacht Report Group developed SuperyachtJobs.com as a portal to bring all members of the superyacht industry together to boost career opportunities whether a member of our site is shore-based, yacht based, or yacht-based looking to become shore-based.  In the year that the site has been running, we have witnessed thousands of members apply for thousands of jobs, all without complaint.  In 2008, over 45,000 applicants used the site and we are currently seeing 8000 unique visitors per month visit superyachtjobs.com, looking at what positions are available.

The process is designed to be transparent and fair for all and we have been actively working with recruitment agencies in this pursuit.  This leads to my most important point:  SuperyachtJobs.com is by no means a recruitment agency and never will be.  We don’t source or place candidates directly into jobs and never will.  Our service is focused on creating a valuable source for employers and employees to contact one another, as part of this we will also be focusing on moving into external sectors looking for adequately professional, skilled and experienced candidates to enter this industry.  This will be to everyone’s benefit.

As anyone who runs a business will understand, building a site and providing a valuable service, costs money and in that respect a venture such as this should finance itself and ultimately be profitable.  Fundamentally though, we are working with the industry to improve service and transparency, both recruitment companies and companies or yachts seeking new staff have found the service of value and understand that while a recruitment company provides a great search and placement service, not everyone in the industry or afloat uses them for their recruitment needs and will seek candidates through other means.  

To conclude and to answer the question regarding the media’s role.  The Yacht Report Group continues to focus on its core main strength and we are not venturing far from this model with this site.  Our only source of revenue from SuperyachtJobs.com is the advertising of available posts on the portal, which have been accepted by many as good value for money at 150 euros per vacancy.

If anyone would like to discuss this further I invite emails to be sent directly to The Yacht Report Group, to either John Mitchell, Head of Digital Media at john@synfo.com or to myself personally at martin@synfo.com, obviously any debate on an open forum is good and we encourage it, but it helps if the debate is balanced. If it is profit that offends the anonymous dock talkers, then I all I can say is that we are a company like any other and as a privately owned business we focus on developing the industry as a primary objective and we know that as the industry grows, so does our business....and ultimately profit is a result of good business.

Sorry for the lengthy post

All the best

Martin H. Redmayne
Chairman - The Yacht Report Group

P.S. I have it on good authority that part of the digital plan with Dockwalk was to create a commercial recruitment dimension to the website, when they recruited one of their key digital team members Mr Jon Banks, whose background was interestingly enough on-line recruitment...?

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:12 AM
This is a great subject - Mr Redmayne we also received this email and it clearly points out that for 150 Euro you will send me as many candidates as I want -  To me that means that you are a crew agent !! one who proffesionally supplies crew and you as the provider acts as the agent.  "Crew Agent"

======================================================================================

Sent from the yacht report:

Dear Captain,

I am writing to you today to help lighten your impending load. The subject: SuperyachtJobs.com.

In recent weeks we have been in the Mediterranean talking to different members of the superyacht community in our endeavours to understand how this year’s summer charter season will unfold.

In short, there is a real buzz, the general consensus is very positive and much different from the winter season we have emerged from.

In light of this, you will no doubt be preparing for an arduous and busy season, which means, first and foremost, filling your crew quota with able, adept and professional seamen and women.

SuperyachtJobs.com could fulfil your recruitment needs at the click of a button. For €150 only, you can elect to receive as many applicants as you require* and, in a few weeks, you will be able to see our members (they have specifically elected to be seen by you) and choose specific candidates you think will fit your team.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks and best regards,

John Mitchell
Head of Digital Media

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:13 AM
Does appear to be a bit beyond a simple classified ad system. One hopes that the summer season will be busier than the winter season was, but isn't that always the case?
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 9:01 AM
Thanks for the response to my comments, all I can say is that we do not send anyone the candidates, they have registered to be part of Superyachtjobs.com and have elected to be seen by certain people advertising vacancies. The option for the captain, shipyard, management company, recruitment company, supplier, brokerage house, design studio, paint applicator etc etc. when they advertise their vacancy for only 150 euros, is to limit the number of applicants they receive, so they are not over whelmed with candidates. This process is automated and is designed to be a very cost effective service to bring candidates and vacancies together. It is only when we started charging for the service that this seems to be a problem for certain people. We had and have had incredible feedback from anyone and everyone who has used the service and in fact one or two management companies have explained that they have received great candidates and applicants for jobs advertised and made placements as a result of their interview process. We were just a facilitator in the process.

All I can say is that if the 150 euros is the bug bear, then I would invite anyone of the people who have commented on this "Role of the Media" forum to contact me personally and I will allow you to use the service for free for a couple of months to see how it works and delivers results.

Superyachtjobs.com is a project that proved it's value in 2008 and will continue to do so as we refine and develop the website to meet the needs and requirements of the industry.

Thanks  Martin

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 9:33 AM

These pilot scheemes tend to start off with free services and then over time graduate to a ":fee paying service" and it looks like this "crewing service" is no different and will no doubt develop further. With the service being "automated to bring candidates and vacancies together, Its still leaves a very "Open recruitment System" with advertising for gender related positions slipping through the net, as a member of the genral Publc going to the superyachtjobs.com website there are still discrimitory adverts within, which in any laymans terms un-aceptable in any indusrty, yet alone the regulations that apply to us in the UK. If it were a simple classified "Ad" system, then the publisher is  generally responsible for regulating the content, but if the system is automated, Then the responsibilty could fall elsewhere, who would be responsible in this case ?

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 12:30 PM
Job vacancies can be advertised for either a male or female if that vacancy requires a person to share a cabin with "another" female or male. If however there is no shared cabin, then it is discriminatory to state either gender.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:06 PM
 The Law is very simple:  Stating a preference for a man or woman in a job advertisement is unlawful sex discrimination,

(Where the crew member sleeps,which cabin and with whom is not just cause to advertise for a particular sex, This would apply to any British registered vessel or company)

These laws applies to internet adverts and just about any medium - Print,film,TV etc - the days of getting away with advertsing for a "Stewardess" a "Chief Stewardess" or a Hostess are nearly over !!!

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:04 PM
I like the word STEW !! The best part about the word STEW is that we know from experience that any stewardess who calls herself a STEW has gender issues or  a chip on her shoulder  ....permiting .us  normal folk  to stand clear, avoiding her insecurity and her team of lawyers.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:47 AM

I think The Yacht report and dockwalk will expand further into crewing acting as a crew agents etc Then expand further into brokerage and charter, Both are positioning themselves to capitalise on the use of data and all three disiplines utilise this and advertising  -  Whatever data the yacht report and Dockwalk collect it will soon be used to "Turn a Buck"

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:58 AM

Very perceptive.  All these publications will try to grow advertising revenue by offering more services and  attracting more viewers. This is natural.  If they cannot become profitable they will not be able to offer valuable services to yacht crew.  We will have to see whether this consolidation and profit stream will be  any benefit to seaman.
 What identifies a first class industry publication is its editorial department and professional reporters.  Naturally a publication like Dockwalk needs to make money in order to recruit  professional staff. So far I have not seen this in publications that target crew..

For instance Dockwalk was not powerfull enough to contact an investigative journalist and get to the bottom of this run away motor yacht death in Thailand for the benefit of yacht crew..

When you view top class media they have journalists like Matthew Sheahan critiquing technologies or world class sailors like Paul Cayard giving readers a view from the bridge.  We need articles interviewing  people like Niel Miller at YCO Deuxmill,  these guys are working on ground zero of the Superyacht industry.  Over in Ft Lauderdale you have insiders like A J Anderson who know exactly how the yachting industry works and can pass on important insights to young crew shaping their careers.  We will have to waite and see which publication gains the power..

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:02 PM
An excellent angle, The role of these publications are expanding on "Profit Stream buisness plans" focused around crew and clearly both Yacht Report and Dockwalk have identified this area, however as you said - do they really invest time and energy focusing on quality editorial, or do they just retain part time writers to create stocking filler articles thinking that this all the readers and the advertisers require ?  

Both magazines are well funded and free to expand - Does anyone know what other yachting interests these magazine have besides magazines ?

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:34 AM

They will be moving into crew recruitment as advertising revenue reduces - Its natural progression

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 7:54 PM
AJ Anderson? Ask some of his former crew about his "greatness as a captain." I think some of your comments verge on rude.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 9:12 AM

which comments ?

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 10:17 AM

The topic of this thread was the role of Media in Yachting...specifically the yacht crew industry. My suggestion to raise the profile of publications by soliciting the thoughts of marine professionals was not meant as an endorsement of  any individual. As a reader you are perfectly free to read the interview and interpret it thru your own eyes.

One of the problems with open forums is that they encourage contributors to practice drive by character assassinations which distort the issue at hand.

"AJ Anderson? Ask some of his former crew about his "greatness as a captain." I think some of your comments verge on rude."

These type of OFF TOPIC comments  must be discouraged by full time forum monitors.  Quality media always brings to the table  views from a broad spectrum of industry professionals  

I suggest as an amateur you hold your opinions to yourself and get back on topic.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 12:04 PM

Back on topic: Martin H Redmaynes of the "yacht report Magazine's" answer is clear.  Resumes in return for a fee and in that role the company is in recruitment, there is no question of this despite Mr Redmaynes calm words, The resumes are not checked and by admission this is an automated System. References supplied are not verified, the career path of the registrant with the yacht report is not clarified and this is an interesting twist to the role of the media in the indusrty.

If I were a crew agent, and I am not, I would really start to ask some questions as to what is really happening here, how many crew agents advertise in the Yacht report and dockwalk ??? and does the media care about its supporters

jonezee
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 12:18 PM

Been away for a week on a delivery since I started the post and just logged in.................... Great to hear some "on topic" views............ still waiting to hear where the media go next ??? looks like the yacht report is now a crew agent with superyachtjobs.com..... whats next....????

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 1:23 PM

""The resumes are not checked and by admission this is an automated System.""

As long as you are aware of these limitations this should not be a problem. One advantage of a broad, open , non prejudicial concept is that crew are able to speak for themselves and  advertise to a wide audience worldwide.  Personally I never trust a crew agent to verify the quality of a crew.  I can simply call the last employer and ask of the crews character.. Realize that crew agents are typically very local and handle the same group of yachts year after year. As crew you may be trapped in their system and not be able to break onto broader horizons

The money that is being charged sounds very modest to me. You cant offer free service and stay in business. I would think Dockwalk could easily organize a modestly priced , post it style, bulletin board that would be very useful to junior crew.

Think of the problems and roadblocks junior crew face.  Agents  try to bulk them up with courses to increase their earning potential, and the agents commission, when in reality  good entry level positions are available that let juniors dig right into the industry at a modest salary and survey the scene from the inside.

For you senior crew ,  next time you attend a major show or yachting event identify how many crew agents are actually doing battle on the exihibition floor,  personally approaching customers, owners, captains to  employ thier vast crew base.  I meet very few.

It would be an invaluable resource for crew if everyone could identify  the forums or websites  which had the critical mass of relevant editorial content  and  financial muscle, to attract all like minded viewers. 

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 4:20 PM
Hmm, well my take is that the Yacht Report/Crew Report has just figured out a way to double dip. Crew agencies only charge when they make the placements, this "automated" model charges on the upside, 150 euros to get the resumes. Are they charging the crew to be included in the database? Does anyone weed out old resumes so that you're not getting 98 inactive resumes and 2 actives? Apparently the crew agencies themselves are filling vacancies through this database, presumably they are also being charged for this access, in addition to advertising in the magazine. I think it is one thing to offer a bulletin board/classified ad sort of thing, for free, as a service to crew and owners. Hands off, caveat emptor. These areas are typically heavily trafficked and provide good advertising revenue. It's another thing indeed to set up a pay to play system. Conflict of interest. It would be like Yachting or Showboats creating their own database of yachts and booking the charters themselves. That wouldn't go over very well with the brokers. It is for this same reason that the crew placement agencies should be wary.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 6:45 PM

"That wouldn't go over very well with the brokers. It is for this same reason that the crew placement agencies should be wary."

Who cares !!!  If you stand back and look at the marine industry it is very fragmented, inefficient and expensive.

Why must we buy BMW's for thousands of charter brokers when one hundred dominant brokers would do ??. 

The marine industry need consolidation to bring the cost of services down.  This is a natural process in industry...several dominant players.  Good for everyone.
  Just like automobiles with say Volkswagen as dominant provider of best value to the industry, you as the customer may choose to buy a Ferrari.  Our industry should be the same.

As a crew this would mean that huge, bulk, economies of scale central crew agents exist and alongside these jumbos specialty agents develop specifically for engineers or chefs or captains or sail or whatever..  You would know very well which agent to patronize and how to spend your money.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 10:49 PM
Consolidation does not necessarily result in lower prices, in fact the reverse is often true. What often happens with consolidation is less competition, less innovation, higher prices, and power concentrated in the hands of a few. The worst eventuality is called a monopoly and it's not good for anyone except the guy at the top. We once had a President in this country whose cause celebre was breaking up monopolies for this same reason. He was a "trust buster" and his name was Teddy Roosevelt. Maybe there are too many charter brokers. The chartering industry as a whole is not well served by driving the small independent brokers out of the business. As it stands now the big management companies are doing everything they can to make access to information as expensive as possible, in addition to other practices, to drive out the small independent broker. Why are independent brokers important? They are independent. Their priority is their client, not a management company whose roof they share. One thing that does seem obvious is there too many crew agencies and it should not surprise anyone to see fewer of them in the years to come. The pie is only so big, it can only be divided up so many times before there is naught but crumbs to share. What the Yacht Report proposes is basically an electronic version of the notebooks at Smallwoods with a difference, the notebooks were always free.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 4:59 AM

"consolidation" is not the yacht reports goal - A clear cut domination of the crewing of superyachts is the business plan.

The yacht report quotes: 
"SuperyachtJobs.com could fulfil your recruitment needs at the click of a button"

Does this mean that they are intending to replace the role of the crew agents ???

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 7:24 AM

Once again it might look like I am attacking, this time the charter industry.  The real question is  can a dominant media form which forces down the cost of services to the consumer ?   An entity like media can only become dominant by serving the consumer with lower cost and better services.
     If a charter company would be able to concentrate their advertising firepower on dominant media,  their cost would go down and the commission charged to my owner would fall.    When services become cheaper you will have more consumers ..this is the very principle of modern business.

Do you know how ridiculous the commission is for a charter ?  I can sympathize only so much with the brokers, it is their responsibility, just like every business in the world, just like every crew on the yacht, to strive for efficiencies that bring down cost.    My theory is that dominant media will assist in this.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 8:02 AM
Oh please, what makes you think that more efficiency means cheaper? In some cases it means more work because now you're expected to do more, often taking on additional tasks. and responsibilities. IF more efficient means of selling charters evolves and many more sales are made this won't translate into reduced commissions. The motivation to sell more is to make more money, not to sell more and make less. The great thing about commissions is that they are paid when they are earned. There are plenty of yacht owners who would love to have the problem of complaining about how much they have to pay in charter broker commissions! But tell your boss you've got a great idea to save him a lot of money. Tell him you'll take over marketing and managing the charter calendar. You're going to do all the bookings directly with the clients over the internet. Cut out the middlemen completely. Give that a go. Since he's already paying you this won't cost him any money at all! That's efficiency!
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 8:33 AM

Concerning the role of the media and.....Does this mean that they are intending to replace the role of the crew agents ???

Well,   crew agents provide the least value of any business in the crew cost pyramid.  I cant believe they even exist. The money saved bypassing  a crew agent is sufficient to send a junior crew off to school for the next level of education. 
    If I need an engineer today I can simply put my dock walking shoes on, cruise over to any of the superyachts surrounding me, ring the bell, speak with her engineer and he will tell me of a engineer, whom he would like  to work with ,  that is presently available.
  It is possible that Head Hunter crew agents need exist to supply top quality vegetarian chefs or highly specialized senior seaman. 
   99 percent of crew agents could disappear today and be replaced by a simple cheap cost effective bulletin board .
 This is your responsibility Dockwalk...get busy !!! and make your board date sensitive, when a crew fails to check in each day their notice is shuffled down the pack only to disappear after two weeks.  Make it completely obvious that the crew listed  is on the relevant  geographic station.  None of this nonsense of flying crew around the world for a chat.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 8:39 AM

Yes it sounds like paying 150 Euro for a complete selection of crew resumes , will put the crew agents out of business
is that the intention of the yacht report or dockwalk ?

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 9:01 AM

Oh please, what makes you think that more efficiency means cheaper?

???  this is how the owners of the yachts we work on made their billions.  They became dominant in their business niche. The owner I work for is a sole contract supplier to the automobile industry.  In order to secure a contract he must meet benchmarks set by a team of manufacturing process engineers.  They tear his business apart, identify inefficiencies then set a contract price  that is very challenging to achieve.  It works....he has the yacht and jet.  This same process is expected from any broker or service provider whom touches his yacht.
  At this very moment associations of yacht owners are thinking along these lines.  A broker will not be able to list their associate yachts unless they  meet efficiency  benchmarks and then they will be awarded sole supplier status.. Once this yacht owners association becomes dominate, efficiencies will follow.  

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 9:08 AM

One can visualise the Yacht report going over to the various yards of Europe doing the "editorial" on new builds - meeting with the build Captain, owners and Yard to gather information about the vessel, Then bingo, Oh by the way Captain we can supply you with crew aswell !!!

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 10:32 AM
One can visualise the Yacht report going over to the various yards of Europe doing the "editorial" on new builds - meeting with the build Captain, owners and Yard to gather information about the vessel, Then bingo, Oh by the way Captain we can supply you with crew aswell !!!

Sounds like a beautiful world to me !  At present crew agents sit in offices and waite for the phone to ring  from a captain or owner  so that they may  offer a job to  one of the 5 thousand crew on their books.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 1:22 PM

The role of media in the yachting industry  ?

We need more. At present the Media seems to be servicing the needs of the advertisers. This must imply that the media  is  weak, subservient and cannot   become advisers to all parties in the industry.

Have you ever read an article describing the high season marina berth rental racket in the West Med ?   If you or your  owners understood what was going on they would rebel and force change.  Many charter agents and yacht brokers would come away with ruined reputations.

The media has a very important role to play in education.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:39 PM

The Media certainly wouldnt report on the subject of berthing rackets in the Med - Thats where forums come in so that would be a good new topic, Transparency is the key and the media should take a little more responsibility..........

The Media is Biased towards its advertisers to some degree, but with the yacht report doing "crewing" it looks like they are about to loose all the crew agents advertising.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 6:36 AM
Gee the media is involved with exposeing a scam every day.  Just open the New Tork Times, just think back to Watergate or Monica Lewinski.....   Education of the reader is the Medias  mission.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 8:16 AM
Forums are  useful for hearing opinions but many times they are simply echo chambers.  You only need look at dockwalk and follow a forum on drug abuse.  Lots of talk and insults but no action simply because the big party in this, the owners, don't read the forums.  If you ran a front page in Yachting magazine called Drugs and yachts I can guarantee that hundreds of yacht owners would be calling their captains to find out what the policy is on their yacht. As captain you would have to respond, give the crew agent a call and inform them that no crew can be supplied to the yacht unless they submit to a test first. Crew and agents would clean up their act fast.   Has a single crew agent come forward to contribute their response ???
    Many issues on the yachts can only be solved by exposing them in the media, before the eyes of the owners.  When an owner or client understands that the charter broker is subletting the berth and renting it back to them at inflated prices they will take action to freeze the broker out..Everytime the media attacks and cleans up one of these issues the industry will become more cost effective and the everyday life of us captains and crew will become easier.
  When economic times are tough we yacht crew must be efficient.  If the yacht takes it on the nose for berth rent you ,the captain,  will hit the  owner cash brick wall when your engineer requests an extra 25 grand to upgrade a piece of equipment.
Janine
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 5:13 PM

Dockwalk did run an article on Drug and yachts. Check out the cover of the May 2008 issue "Getting high to get by? Crew cocaine use soars"

Dockwalk covered this topic and it's been brought up again because it's still an issue.

Also, owners have responded in that forum and so they must be reading.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 6:31 PM
Janine.  I'm quite fond of Dockwalk and wish it the best success.   The  fact remains that Dockwalk is simply speaking to one side of the yacht crew  ,owner, industry equation..... the crew
    More power to them for bringing  crew issues to the table. Next they must strive to become so influential that all parties takes notice of the issues they raise. For instance our safety in the Caribbean could have been improved long ago by a relentless Dockwalk campaign. When the  dockwalk  press raised Antigua security concerns, John  Duffy at the Antigua marine trades association emailed me in Spain to describe new procedures enacted to protect yacht crew.  I am only a yacht captain Janine.
 Yacht crew need a voice...we need a powerful media platform.  Get on with it Dockwalk,  poke the eyes of every service provider who effects crew life with articles and awareness..

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 9:57 AM
Sorry have been busy doing my job, but getting back to the original thread of the forum and the role of the media in crewing...read the following from the latest Dockwalk news mail;

Finally, there's a discussion in the forum about the ethics of magazines like Dockwalk and The Yacht Report getting involved in recruitment, something we've given much thought to in recent months. Many members of the community are using Dockwalk.com for professional networking, and in this spirit we're about to launch a dedicated careers section where you can post your availability for work and view job openings from crew agents and other members for free. We'll give you more details next week so watch this space.

No doubt we can expect a free recruitment and careers section from Dockwalk for about a year and then perhaps they will make a strategic decision to create a revenue stream, after all with any company owned by a private equity partner, profit is a fairly important part of their plan. As they say, watch this space..? Cos' I can assure you we will....?

Oh well back to my day job....have fun on this turgid forum and all the best to any of The Yacht Report friends who are listening...and for those who are out of work on this forum, don't forget to look for work on superyachtjobs.com, it's free and many recruitment companies are listing their jobs for you to view, so don't delay get a new job today..!!!

Until my next window

Best

Martin
The Yacht Report Group

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 1:55 AM

Martin, we have to wish both you and Dockwalk all the best with your move into recruitment, now Dockwalk has un-veiled the "job listings" we see that there is going to be some stiff competition between these two Media companies in the "crew recruitment" area.

With two media companies competing over crew and with every man and his dog "posting jobs and resumes" its going to be an interesting year.!!!

On the topic "Expanding role of the Media" what else is around the corner ??

Average 5 out of 5