Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
when is the best time to fly to palma ?
Mark Corbett
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 4:15 PM

Me and my partner are going to palma mid september to get on big boats , i am just finishing my stcw95 and we have worked for a flot company for 2 years and are experiences sailors , but this is a new level of work for us and are a little nervous , does anybody have any reccomendations , and does and dont ?

and is palma the best place to go in sep ?

any help would be brilliant

cheers

Mark Corbett

monback
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 4:50 PM

Well me boy, to control noise pollution the Spanish authorities close the airport between midnight and 6.30 am.  You are going to have to arrive during the day.  Sorry.  If you can pick a clear day direct the pilot  to alter course and  approach down the north west coast, the little mountain villages are beautiful from the air, you should be able to see Ibiza on starboard..

Mark Corbett
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 6:54 PM

I like your way of thinking!

Any more useful advise regarding best time of the year to arrive in Palma?

monback
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 7:19 PM

Like many boats Im authorized to  hire crew on April 1. Things are a bit slow in Palma at the moment....but thats the same every place.   Dont be surprised if owners waite until the last minute to hire crew.  Last week in palma the dayworkers were doing OK 
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:55 PM
ok thats interesting , what do you think about my plan to come over in september ?
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:40 PM
90 percent of the fleet does the big money summer  Med season...only 10 percent carry on...not many jobs outward bound  and 4.5 million crew looking for a ride to the otherside...most years I can get em to sign on for free.....pay your money, take our chances

Average 0 out of 5