Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Where to start my dockwalk....Antibes, or Palma, Mallorca
ADAMFS
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:05 PM

Hi guys,

Im new to the industry, and im wondering where to start my job search from! I was thinking Mallorca, as my parents have a motor boat out there which I could use as a base...free accomodation!

However, having heard so much about Antibes, and particularly the Antibes yacht show in April im wondering whether just to head straight there instead?!

Also, is  April the best time to head out or earlier?

Your comments are all welcomed with open arms from the newbie/green crew boy...thanks!!

MJ_80
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 6:15 PM

Hi Adam,

i have the same problem....don´t know where i should fly!  Right now....my favorite is Antibe....but Mallorca is still in my mind!
Hopefully we can get some more informations out of this tread. 

...so i´ll be either in palma or in antibe in March/April.

keep in touch

greetings

markus

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 6:53 PM

Hi guys,

I'm also one of the newbies going to be there (Antibes) on the 4th during the show, and I hope we can meet somewhere. I'm in the process of getting some more info on transportation and accommadation, so if anything comes up, I'll share it!

Keep in touch!

Yana

faybion
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 8:03 PM

Hi

Me and 2 friends all looking for jobs will be in Antibes the last week of march just before the boat show!
Good Luck with dockwalking.
Faye

Luxyachts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:29 PM

Both locations will be very busy this Spring as many Med based yachts crewed down for the winter and are starting to recrew now.

For either location do expect to see a lot of competition on the docks with other crew seeking the same job as yourself and be prepared to make a great first impression....Why should you get the job and not somebody else?....Know your own strengths (and weaknesses), and promote them.

Our recommendation would be to go to the location that is most convenient for you. Do you speak Spanish or French? Do you have access to cheap accomodation in either location? If you have no strong motivator either way then I would suggest Antibes over Mallorca but in Adam's case with free accomodation in Mallorca it's a good place to start.

As a recruitment company we see a very significant number of jobs placed from Antibes wheras our perception of Mallorca is that it's a slightly smaller market.

So far as timing...Arrive in the middle of March with a budget to support yourself for 6 to 8 weeks. If you have not found a full time job by the end of April or beginning of May then you should re-evaluate your sales presentation.

If you are completely green do arrive expecting a difficult Summer. The global economic crisis is having an impact in all industries and yachting is no exception. There will be fewer temporary and entry level positions recruiting this summer compared with year's past.

I hope that this helps and good luck with your job searches.

Rupert Connor

Luxury Yacht Group LLC

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:52 PM
[This post has been removed by the forum moderator]

Jesman
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:12 PM

As boats are starting to come back from the Caribbean Season there would be more boats in Palma than Antibes especially earlier on, before april. We are in the I.Y.C.A at the moment and have been all winter and on April 1st the costs to stay here triple...a lot of the harbours up here the prices go up. I dont think boats will want to come up here anytime soon, why come up here earlier and pay the higher costs just to sit around? I think Palma is the place to be before May! and make sure you look like a yachtie not a businessman or a bum!

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 1:15 PM
in case you didnt know there is a crewshow as part of the yacht show. it runs all day on 4th April and is just for crew. it might be a good place to get advice and maybe even find some work.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 5:23 PM

Holy Smoke's !  A crew show ?   Does this mean  that fully decked out crew parade down a catwalk before hoards of adoring agents ?     Whoa!
 Or is it more like a livestock show,  were crew are weighed and inspected for good teeth and hooves ?  

I guess it could be a fast way to size up  and identify  the competition for future double crossing ?

Dont tell me...the event is organized by a bar ?

What will they think up next......

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 5:40 PM

Ya, the Crewshow.  Last year me and the boys chartered the GOODYEAR BLIMP.  Had our images projected onto the hull as we flew over Antibes dropping thousands of resumes.  Worked great.

This year were thinking of rappelling out of a chopper , dressed  like Mutant Ninja deckhands, directly into the show....IBNA

Janner
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 8:45 PM

Average 4 out of 5