Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Ice Makers
cdhezel
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 12:05 PM

Quick question, pros and cons of... U.Line vs Raritan ??
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:22 PM

Most all ice makers utilize the same mehanical components.  Look at the compressor, ice maker assembly, water solenoid valve, ect. it's all made by the same manufacturer.  The ice maker companies buy these components and assemble them onto their own units. 

Both units come with optional stainless steel face plate inserts.

Both units produce and hold approximately the same amount of ice.

Raritan does come in a true 220vac 50 hz style unit that will work with European vessels and Uline is derated by operating at 50hz. 

Uline does come in more sizes than Raritan and has the option of producing clear ice on the larger models. 

Uline is not supposed to be sold on the internet per rules of the manufactorer, although I have seen them for sale.  There might be a problem with warranty if you do buy online.  If you have to go through an authorized dealer, you might not get the best price like people often can by shopping online.

Ther are many other makes of ice makers to choose from that offer more options and come in full stainless steel.  Don't feel like you are limited. 

Pascal
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:02 PM

I'll never buy a Uline for my own boat or will never recommend installing one on a boat i run...  They're cheaply made, and rust faster than an old british sportscar!

considering how expensive they are you'd expect better quality than a cheap homedepot fridge/freezer, they're actually worst.

Never used a Raritan, but they can not be worst.

cdhezel
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:03 PM

I'm in Italy on a time schedule....ie limited, thanks for the infos Gents
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 1:35 PM

The truth of the matter is that ice makers like Uline and Raritan are designed to work on a level surface since the use a molded troft to create the ice cubes making them not the best unit for Marine use.

There are better options available the only problem is the size.

A lot of boats were prefitted with a Uline or Raritan unit.

One of the best units available is a Hoshizaki which is a true clear ice cuber.

They are however are a little larger in size. (14'' x 22'' x 31'')

and include a two year parts and labor warranty.

joer@beardmarine.com

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:02 PM
charteryachtsupply.com sells scotsman, they are expensive but they dont rust and last forever.'been through 3 raritans. plstic discolours, rust.
yachty
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:08 PM

Have to agree with the post concerning Hoshizaki. I have always had great luck with them. Although more expensive in the front end, you'll save more with not having to repair them and more important won't have to tell the boss no ice for your drink till we find a repairman. Despite all the money and technology spent on yachts for power generation and control, there is a huge difference in the quality of electricity on board compared to a house where it is generated and delivered by a multi billion dollar infrastructure. U line and Kitchen Aid and myriad others are made as household units with less robust electronics that are sensitive to less than perfect power. Hoshizaki is a true commercial unit made to withstand abuse physical and electrical. I have never had to call for service on one. http://en.europe.hoshizaki.com
Richard
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2009 4:15 AM

My partner and I contracted to a fleet of boats that had, you guessed it, either Raritan or Uline ice makers. Long story short, the Raritan produced a lot more ice reliably. I think they are both rated at 22 lbs per day. Raritan Engineering is very helpful, I have had opportunity to need their help on other products and they have always come through. That said, I would stay away from Uline. The units I used were finicky and did not produce the same quantity as the Raritan. This is of course if you are stuck for space and have to use one of these two.

I currently have a 50 lb per day Kitchen Aid ice maker. While I have had to repair it, four years old, it does seem to produce ice happily if we don't heel, something a sailboat has a hard time avoiding. It works differently than the Raritan and Uline. The Kitchen Aid I have has an angled freezing plate, when the ice sheet gets thick and heavy enough; it slides down onto a cutter of stainless steel wires and then drops into the bin in cubes. Being on a heel does not help matters.

Give that and the environment; I did look at the suggestions from others who have commented here for various reasons. If you have the room and budget I would be rather temped to go with the Hoshizaki. Their site is full of helpful information, including Owner's Manual, Parts Manual, Service Manual.. the list goes on and a 2 year warranty. Heck I know boats that buy ice makers like water. They are larger and more expensive, but it all works out in the long run. I am not sure but the Hoshizaki seems to work on some kind of jet system and therefore might lend itself to a boat that bounces around, even heels a little.

So now you have three companies that actually use different mechanisms to make ice, therefore they are not all the same.

I did look at the Scotman site but they seem a little large. And I wonder sometimes, if a Yacht is so large it needs such a large ice maker, then it would need ice in various places around the Yacht and therefore maybe a few smaller units would be better strategically place. Like the Hoshizaki size of 50 or 55 lbs per day. On the other hand personal suit or cabin ice makers, then you are back to the Raritan’s, back at the beginning.

Average 0 out of 5