Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
What to bring aboard???
Deckhand_Ryder
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:02 AM

So I went down to check out some new backpacks and/or luggage the other day for my adventure into this new career, and for some reason the sales associate thought he knew more about storing luggage on a boat than I did! But I think he might be right! Does anyone have advice on what type on luggage/backpacks to buy? I would really like to know what would be too big, and what kind of things are needed on board. I would hate to bring too much and have to get rid of my belongings at the last minute. Any advice?
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:12 AM

Personally I hate it when crew bring backpacks with them.    They take up to much space, I have a whole locker full of crew backpaks at the moment....locker space is precious.   a traditional sea bag is best.  If you are going to a good boat, you just don't need alot.  We supply all working gear, you supply your shoreside stuff.  I assume your heading someplace warm and dry, if not bring extra.  Id recommend to always  travel very light. If your missing stuff you can always buy it...most crew come on light then leave with steamer trunks bloated with stuff and a big extra weight flight bill

Fool
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:43 PM

Hmm, that was my question too. So I suppose a large hard Samsonite with them little wheels is just gonna piss everyone off then?
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:00 PM
Yup...no hard stuff.  Engine guys carry different personal gear....ask a motorhead, they can advise
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:03 PM
and forget the laptop and pack your thermal imaging gun......people will pray at your feet , offer free gifts and beer
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:06 PM
oh and a couple of those handy electricians screwdrivers that hold the non ferous lug screws...I could use one, trade you a couple old tee shirts
Fool
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:15 PM

T-shirts!? Worth way more than that mate, nothing less than gifts and beer! My old man had one of them, it must have been half a meter long, all rusted and at least 30 years old - often considered nicking it. They normally clutter your tool box, but when you need it - priceless!
Deckhand_Ryder
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:19 AM

Good advice guys, thanks! Just arrived in Fort Lauderdale a couple hours ago and met up with some friends. I got my hands on a duffel with pull out back pack straps, and there's no frame to it so it folds nicely. I only brought a couple of tools though... But they will stay with my commuter bike on shore.
Fool
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 3:03 PM

A Duffel bag, I think I have one of them collecting dust some where...hmmm, good idea.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 6:20 PM

Yes my boy, a duffel bag is what sailors have carried for the last few centuries.  Good call.

Duffle
A name given to a Sailor's personal effects. Also spelled duffel, it referred to his principal clothing as well as to the seabag in which he carried and stowed it. The term comes from the Flemish town of Duffel near Antwerp, and denotes a rough woolen cloth made there.

Brett
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:46 PM

So these hard roller boards are not going to work aboard a super yacht? So a duffle bag is the more approariate way of bringing bags aboard vessels? I would appreciate any help on this issue?
Mike
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:07 PM

Depends on what size boat you are on. If you are on a 60m+ boat, it doesnt matter what type of luggage you have. We have plenty of room for both guest luggage, crew luggage, as well as extra space to fit the whole crew's personal effects if we wanted to. Supplies-wise, just bring the essentials. laptop, some clothes(not a lot), and call it good. most everything else is provided.
Dean
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:04 PM

As little as possible, a compact bag that stores easily and a good quality set of carry on. People tend to accumulate stuff and storage is always an issue on yachts, especially those sharing cabins. Your average greenhorn lasts 3 months and mobility is a plus unless your one of the few newbies that hit the mark and settle into a job for a year or more.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:34 PM
Hey if your going to the 60m type yacht, don't forget your kite board,snow board for the tough winters,skate board for the Cannes board walk and almost forgot.Bring an extra bag for the mandatory stash of computers and all the other gizmos to call home on when your on watch.
Laure
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:18 AM

Anonymous, when you are on watch you play with your laptop and you call friends ???
Fair enough, when I am on watch, I am looking to the radar and GPS, and I am making check outside around the boat.......

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:18 PM
I think he means when you're in port, don't imagine there will be much checking of radar and GPS then
Laure
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:20 AM

All right, got it !

Seasonjunkie
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 10:53 AM

Hey all, I've just been writing an article on finding yacht jobs for seasonaires (http://seasonjunkie.com/guide-to-summer-boat-work/) and this thread has proved really useful. Thanks. Please feel free to read the article and add anything extra if you can think of it.

Average 0 out of 5