Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Dates and Places
Sparkelly
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2009 1:58 AM

Hey All,

If someone could please inform me the best dates to head to the following places:

Fort Lauderdale

Antibes

Antigua

I have had enough of the desk job, although it has given me good time to join different agencies/websites and learn a decent amount of information.

It is now time to organise getting out of Australia and getting amongst it!

Thanks,

KELLY

Stew Rose
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:45 PM

Hi,

Here's my two cents: Antigua is happening now. Antibes around May and Fort Lauderdale in the fall, around late September, October. That said, I think you can get work anywhere even off season in my opinion. Sometimes there is less competition in the off season in places like the U.S. and Med. Also the Miami boat show is coming up in mid-Feb.

And I'm not sure of the legal logistics of  the Caribbean islands (visas, etc) but I think you'd be better off in St. Maarten than Antigua. I think it's busier there. It's also more expensive to get accommodation in the Islands than in the U.S. and Med.

Anyone else? I haven't been to the Caribbean for a couple years. Are there crew houses there?

Good Luck!

Anita Warwick
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 3:10 AM

Goodonya Kelly! Get out and see the world before getting saddled with a hubby and kids - at least find out if that is what you DO want.   I took a year's leave from teaching in Tasmania - oh, a long time ago and loved the opportunites the yachting industry put in front of me! 

If you've put your resume out there already it will help to meet some recruiting agents so that they can meet you personally.  Grab a copy of "The Insiders' Guide to Becoming a Yacht Stewardess" by Julie Perry, an informative  and helpful book for any newbie - whether you aspire to be a captain or whatever poisition (we'd like to see more women in senior positions!)

Ft Lauderdale has several agencies, as do Palma, Antibes, UK and the Caribbean. You'll find a list of them on my website Seven Seas Health   (I advise crew on health insurance being the poster girl!)

It is the Caribbean season now (think winter in N. hemisphere), many boats come through Florida around May before heading off to the Med. for the summer. It's a lot cheaper living here than Australia. The main yachting Caribbean islands Antigua and St Maarten are not cheap to hang out (but fun!)

Get your STCW95 - you can do that at the maritime college in Tasmania, here in Ft Lauderdale and other locations.   AUSSIE YACHT CREW site might be helpful.  Go for it, let me know how you get on! 

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:27 AM

Oh yes at the ripe old age of 21 I have many things to do before the hubby and kids!!!

I have come across that book a few times in my research but wasn't too sure if I should buy it or not but now I will try find it and have a read.

I completed the STCW back in November so I am all set in that department.

I will still try for a job whilst in Aus but if I don't get one by mid Feb I will look into heading over to Antibes.

Now I shall have a look at your health insurance website - Mum will be oh so proud!!

Kelly Riley
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:29 AM

Whoops... that was my comment, just wasn't signed in!!

Anita Warwick
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 7:30 PM

Goodonya Kelly! Get out and see the world before getting saddled with a hubby and kids - at least find out if that is what you DO want.   I took a year's leave from teaching in Tasmania - oh, a long time ago and loved the opportunites the yachting industry put in front of me! 

If you've put your resume out there already it will help to meet some recruiting agents so that they can meet you personally.  Grab a copy of "The Insiders' Guide to Becoming a Yacht Stewardess" by Julie Perry, an informative  and helpful book for any newbie - whether you aspire to be a captain or whatever poisition (we'd like to see more women in senior positions!)

Ft Lauderdale has several agencies, as do Palma, Antibes, UK and the Caribbean. You'll find a list of them on my website Seven Seas Health   (I advise crew on health insurance being the poster girl!)

It is the Caribbean season now (think winter in N. hemisphere), many boats come through Florida around May before heading off to the Med. for the summer. It's a lot cheaper living here than Australia. The main yachting Caribbean islands Antigua and St Maarten are not cheap to hang out (but fun!)

Get your STCW95 - you can do that at the maritime college in Tasmania, here in Ft Lauderdale and other locations.   AUSSIE YACHT CREW site might be helpful.  Go for it, let me know how you get on! 

haleyd79
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 8:23 PM

YES, DEFINITELY get "The Insiders Guide to Becoming a Yacht Stewardess" it's SO helpful!!

Average 4 out of 5