Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Dockwalk skiing meet
tonyh
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 3:37 PM

Dockwalk would love to help organise a captains and crew ski weekend in Europe for all those captains and crew recharging their batteries before the med season starts.

We are thinking somewhere like Val d'isere, great skiing and good for partying too, probably in March 2009.

Let us know if you'd be interested in attending by replying to this forum message and we'll see what we can do.

TH

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2009 7:15 PM

Why not come to Tahoe???!

We are long time locals/sailors who own and operate a charter business in summer. We can arrange great pricing on group accomodations and discounts on lift tix and meals.

We are planning our own "escape" soon and looking to meet people who may help us along the way

If you are at all interested please contact me.

Capt. Gabby Pereira and  (husband Capt. Donnie)

530 545-9409

p.o. box 550077

s. lake tahoe, ca 96155     usa

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2009 11:29 PM
There is no reason that a US ski getaway cannot be planned. I think the idea of the European get together was to take advantage of the fact that there are a lot of crew based in the Med that are "on standby" (though not idle!) for the winter. One of the wonderful qualities of Europe is their fine rail transportation system and the fact is, even when you are in the South of France, one is but a brief train trip from the Alps. It is a simple to arrange, and potentially affordable, weekend excursion. Also, crew in Med are waiting out the start of Spring and the frantic pace of the chartering season there which typically kicks off with the Cannes Film Festival. Most of the yacht crew in America are on the east coast. Tahoe, while lovely is not so easy to get to and not worth all the travel for less than a weeks time (longer than many crew can take off.) If crew are not in the Caribbean, they are based out of Florida and doing cruises/charters in the Bahamas. For many of them the late winter early spring can represent a very busy time of the year, especially those with smart owners who know that late winter/spring time is the best time of the year in the Bahamas. If Tahoe was a six hour train ride from Lauderdale everyone would be lined up to go.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 2, 2009 12:26 AM

Thought we'd kick off with one in Europe for the simple reason of the proximity of the ski resorts to Antibes, Monaco etc etc.

No reason we  couldn't do a US one though I agree with the previous poster that Europe would seem easier.

If we get enough positive feedback we could both.

Kate
Posted: Thursday, January 8, 2009 9:17 PM

Sure Tony, I'd love to go.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2009 5:04 PM
Me too!

Average 0 out of 5