Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Cleaning Leather fender hooks
Carey
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:00 PM

I was just curious if anyone knew what could be used to clean the natural leather on the fender hooks. They are moldy and discolored and need major help. I spoke to the retailer who told me that the oil made for the natural leather accelerates the growth of the mold and only worsens their condition over time. Thanks
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 2:02 PM
if you call fender hook in ft lauderdale they can help you out with th right stuff .i jist bought 10 fender hooks from those guys last summer and they sent the cleaning solution but of course the boat is in miami and im in chicago so cant go get the name for you .hope this helps
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 5:52 PM
You can just use boot/shoe polish to clean the hooks, if they are brown, use brown boot polish and same with black. There are plenty of leather treatment little kits around too, but boot polish is adequate. Also we have used Simple Green..just mix some with water, it gives it a coating too which protects it better.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2009 12:04 AM
call Pelican Canvas Corporation in Fort Lauderdale 954 523 7717 ask for Paul

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 8:32 PM
Use a light solution of simple green and water and rub the hook with a rag. Then rinse with water and let air dry. Later rub mink oil into the leather with a rag and once again let air dry. This should be done regularly (once a month).
Hughesy
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2014 12:01 AM

If you ever went to a strick school or had to hang out with your grandfather you may know the art of boot polishing. Fender hook leather is simple. Polish them like a boot, get a matching polish to match (the tin type not the roll on stuff)

Using a soft brush and a soft cloth line up all your fender hooks, start with one then get to the end. then start at the first one again. takes a while and a bit of time and effort but the more coats you do the better they look 

(I usually do about 5)

Its a good thing to do in some downtime or a good one to do in a crossing. 

Average 0 out of 5