Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
SCAM ALERT
aeronautic1
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 8:07 PM

SCAM ALERT- SCAM ALERT- SCAM ALERT-SCAM ALERT

Yesterday, I received the following unsolicited email from a Capt. Johnson Smith with a job offer. This scammer is trolling the crew websites, like The Triton (as indicated below), and trying to lure unsuspecting crewmembers with fake job offers. The following are the emails associated with this scam:

Dear Sir,

My name is Capt. Johnson Smith, 40 Years Old from
United Kingdom. I
work with Kay's Yacht Club in
United Kingdom. I came across your
profile on and decided to mail to ask if you'll be interested in the
job.
Its a private own yacht, and the destination is always from
Essex
London to Ireland and Norway.
The monthly salary will be 3, 200 sterling pound every three weeks,
accommodation will be provided by the company.

Hope to hear from you soonest

Best Regards
Capt. Johnson

In the email header I found that IP address 10.140.161.19 is listed as a “private” IP address; kind of like an unlisted phone number. I gave “Capt. Johnson” a rather vague reply, suspecting a scam, and this was his response:

Dear Sir,
Are you interested or not. I found your profile at Triton website.
Best Regards
Capt Johnson Smith

Still suspicious, because of the IP address, I requested information on the vessel, manufacturer, size, name, doc number et al, and a photo of the yacht included with the next email provided was in tropical waters, not UK waters:

Thank you once more for your mail and your interest in working with
us .I have attached photo of the yacht we are operating on. The home
port is at
London and the destination is always from Essex London to
Ireland Belgium and
Norway. And lastly accommodation will be provided
to you both on board and when you are not on board.
If you are not in
United Kingdom you will require a valid UK visa
including a working permit to enable you work with us.
You can contact the traveling agency to help you with the process of
the
UK visa and working permit.
Here is the link to the traveling agent
(agencypassportconsultant@consultant.com). Contact them and let them
know that you've been offer a job with Kay's Yacht located at
Essex
London United to come and work.

Should in case you need any other thing please do not hesitate to ask

Hope to hear from you again

Best Regards
Capt Johnson Smith

Wanting to further my investigation, I forwarded Capt. Johnson’s email to the “passport agency” and received the following:

Dear Sir,
We wish to thank you for your mail, you information are acknowledge and recorded. To have your complete document including your work permit and tax clearance and all other requirement to travel to
United Kingdom.
Its indicated in your email that you have been offer a job with kays yacht club who ask you to contact us.  We shall have its processed and send it to you via Courier Delivery Service to the
UK embassy in your country.
They will contact you immediately for a brief interview.

We need some more details from you for us to process your visa,work permit and tax clearance. The details needed are as follows:

1. Full Name:

2. Full Address:

3. Valid Passport with at least sex (6) months validity

4. Two (2) recent passport photo , size 2x2

5. Country of Birth:

6. Telephone number:

Thanks for your anticipated patronage and co-operation.
P.R. O PASSPORT AGENCY & CO OFFICE
Plumstead
England Se18 1ad

E-mail: agencypassportconsultant@consultant.com

The IP address for the passport agency is 41.219.192.58 which is registered to a “dial-pool” in Lagos Nigeria. I also ran the email address thru the www.fraudwatchers.org website which further confirmed my suspicions.

I asked the passport agency for a physical address to send the requested information and their reply was:

Dear Sir,
We are in receipt of your mail dated
Friday, 14 Nov 2008. We want to inform you that sending of your passport and other information by courier service involve risk,  and please note that the company is not responsible for any lost documents.
We advise you scan your passport data page, passport photo and send it by e-mail attachment.
Once we recieved your document and the total amount of
£ 850.00 for the process of your Uk visa and working permit. This money involve the processing of your document including the flight ticket and all other related document as well.
You will have to apply for a single entry
UK visa, since this is your first time of traveling to United Kingdom.

All Documents will be processed and arranged here in our Office after which will be forwarded to the British Embassy along with your Flight Ticket. Also, some Copies of this Document(s) will be sent to you...

You can make payment to us by western union money transfer or international money gram so as to speed up the process of delivery . Contact the nearest western union location and make payment to the information below:

Name of Receiver: Harrison David

Adress of Receiver: 68 Lombard Street London, EC3V 9LJ United Kingdom,

Total Payment........................ .................... £ 850.00 Pounds

Upon receipt of the above,modalities to process your traveling document will commence immediately.We want you to note that processing of your traveling document will only take three(3) working days and the delivery of it will take just one day(Express Delivery).

Once again,congratulations and please do comply in due time to enable us expedite action.

Thanking you for your anticipated co-operation as we hope to hear from you soonest.

Yours Faithfully

How can you determine if a job offer is legitimate?

1. First, look for misspellings and bad grammar in the body of their email.
  2. If a passport agency or recruitment agency has a yahoo, googlemail, consult.com (in this instance) and not a dedicated mail server, it is most likely a scam.
  3. In the header of the email, look for Replied From for the IP address. You can go to http://www.ip2location.com/demo.aspx. Cut and paste the IP address into the search window and the location of the IP address will be exposed. Note: this is the FREE service.
  4. Do not scan and email your passport, personal data or passport photos. Demand a physical address with offer of FedEx the requested information. Most likely, they will request you to scam and email your data. And if a physical address is proffered, match it to the IP location to insure it is a match.
  5. Never EVER send money to an agency. If a company asks for “processing fees, document fees;” it is a scam. These scam artists like to use Western Union, which is a tip-off.
  6. When on a public forum, NEVER publish your email address.
  7. If there is a request to click on a link, first, run your cursor over the link. A small window will show the actual link. In a scam, the address in the link does not match the link in the body of the email; another sign of scam. Opening such a link may infect your computer with a virus, spybot or Trojan horse.

The proliferation of identity and monetary theft is very real on the internet. And our community is not immune. Be cautious when replying to job offers.

Capt. John Wampler – Fort Lauderdale

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:11 AM

Hello everybody, I was last week also approached by capt Johnson Smith with a job offer. He worked by Bridlington Yacht Club in UK he wrote in his emails to me. He had my information from my profile I had put on Crewfile.com. He even send me a contract. But it all seems to be fake.

Jan Oostrom

Rotterdam, Holland

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:07 PM

I want to add to my first reaction, that I am very happy with the suggestions that are made by capt John Wampler in this topic to recognize a true job offer. I had luckely the state of mind to look for references on the job offer that I recieved from the fake captain Johnson Smith. I almost signed and returned the, good looking, contract he had sent me. But I didn´t. I start to look for references about him and his job offer. And I found out that it was a total fake. I have a profile on www.crewfile.com (look on Crew Available pg 26) and I informed them that capt Johnson Smith, the so called owner Robert Smith and their so called yacht club Bridlington Yacht Club in the UK is a total fraude. The yacht club doesn´t excist at all. Crewfile made luckely on my story a seperate section for Scam Alert. And the fake captain Johnson Smith is already on it.

And me? Well, still looking for work as a steward/deckhand. Only not with a fake captain like Johnson Smith

Greetings

Jan Oostrom

Rotterdam

Holland

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:37 PM

I made a mistake in my 2nd reply, the so called owner is not called Robert Smith, but Robert King. According to the fake captain Johnson Smith. Sorry for my mistake

Jan Oostrom

Rotterdam

Holland

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:49 AM

I recieved this today.looks remarkably similar .Such a strange co-incidence....NOT !!

Donna (mail: donnasouth02@hotmail.com ) :

Dear Sir,

My name is Capt. Donna Williams, 40 Years Old from United State. I work with Kay's Yacht Club in United State. I came across your profile on and decided to mail to ask if you'll be interested in the job. Its a private own yacht, and the destination is always from SE Gainesville to Ireland and Norway. The monthly salary will be $3, 200 every three weeks, accommodation will be provided by the company.

Hope to hear from you soonest

Best Regards
Capt. Donna

Leti
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:53 AM

I received the same tonight, it looked strange..then I googled " Kay's Yacht Club" ...and I found a post about a scam...

http://www.ecademy.com/module.php?mod=club&op=forum&c=120&t=955949

Thank you for everyone for the Heads up..

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:18 AM
Hello everybody

Thanks for these alert.
I receive the email today, but I already reply back my detail information.
It is already hard for me to find a real job, why these people still want to cheat.
But thanks anyway to give such a fake joy when receiving the opportunity.

Erik
bali4go@yahoo.com

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:40 AM
I just received the exact same email from Donna tonight. Thanks for the heads up!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:51 PM

TOTAL SCAM, JUST BEWARE

Hi There,

Funny enough, I received a job offer to work on a yacht this morning by Capt. Jack Bello, 43yrs old from the UK, claiming to work for Kay's Yacht Club.

Thank god I did not reply and decided to do a google search. What I found out, was all bloody scams.

I am still looking for a job on a private yacht, but certainly not with Capt. Jack Bello, he he ever exixts. So guys take care to what job offers sounds too good to be true and look suspicious and always run a google search.

Take care and all the best.

Len

UK

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:44 PM
this reads like all the nigerian scams... cant' believe anyone would fall for that!!

I know common sense is a specie which is now far more endangered than manatees, but you'd think that prof. captains will smell a yacht full of rats there...

pascal
Miami, FL

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:32 PM

Hello, I reported earlier that I was approached by the fake capt. Johnson Smith. Now he has changed his name into capt. Jack Bello. He is working (again) at Kay´s Yacht club. So he says.... Apperently he stopped working at the (non excisting) Bridlington Yacht Club in the UK. Be aware of this criminal. I hope that justice will stop this idiot.

Jan Oostrom

Rotterdam

Holland

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:35 PM
Just minutes after reading this forum I recieved the exact same eamil from Capt. Jack Bello. (captjackbello@yahoo.com) He was replying to a posting I had on Crew file - I've get in touch with the site and hopefully they will act fast on this. Being relatively new to the industry and desperate for a job I may have fallen for this initial trap so thanks DOCKWALK!! Anyone seeking a hardworking Kiwi Deckhand?
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:46 PM

Me again.. Kiwi Deckhand..

The day before I recieved the email from Capt Jack Bello I recieved an email from a Mr Morris Winter saying they are recruiting candidates for shipboard jobs, In addition to 50-75 initial hires from the Puget area/carribean, They were seeking applicants to work on the new year-round UNITED KINGDOM flaged Passenger ship.

It then went on to say if you intend to work with our Company in any POSITION, please contact me via email below Mr Morris Winter immediately with your personal details.

I replied to him and recieved an email from Capt Jack Bello and now Im thinking these emails are working in tandem? Did anyone else get an email from Mr Winter. He did list a physical address and a London phone number but the number is always engaged.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:59 AM

I reported yesterday that I was approached by fake capt. Jack Bello, I was the same day approached by with job offers by SHERRIS TOURIST SHIPPING LINE and also by mr MORRIS WINTER. The first one sailed tourist ships from Ghana to the UK, the second one said he was working for the CTG Group based on Regent Street 201-203 in London and saild passenger ships under UK flag. Both asked for money to proces the working permit/visa I needed. They had send both a contract to me me by email. I decided to look for references and I found out that it´s a total scam. I think that Jack Bell(is Jonson Smith), Sherris Tourist Shipping Line and Morris Winter from the fake CTG Group work together in the same criminal organisation.

So everybody, never transfer any money voor permits or visa, send never a signed contract back by email, ask them for a postadress. Check this adress by google, check the companyname by google

And me..............still looking for work as deckhand, but in a true job.

Jan Oostrom

Rotterdam

Holland

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:38 AM

I made also a report for Crewfile fot their SCAM ALERT about these scams, because these criminals use the information they find on the crew profiles

Jan

Rotterdam

Holland

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 1:39 PM

It´s seems to be a neverending story, but I have to report another SCAM ALERT.

Yesterday I got an email from capt. Terry Smith. He offered me a job on the yacht Princes Mariana in the UK. I responded friendly and asked for a postadress, name of the owner/compant, location of the port etc. I got an answer back, that he was pleased that THE BOTH of us (.....) accepted the job and he wanted that WE (....) made contact with the company´s travel agency to proces the visa/workingpermit. He gave their mailadress travelagency12008@live.com. He also gave his telephone number 0044-7035956892. This tel nmbr is not reachable. And he didn´t answer on the questions I asked him.

After the scams I reported earlier on this topic, I have to conclude that this one is again a scam. The emails I get with the job offers are simular, only they seem to change the names of the captains.

These criminals use the information they find on the crew profiles, in my case is obvious. They got info from my profiles on the crewfile site with crew profiles.

So everybody who´s also looking for work like me, BE VERY CAREFULL WITH JOBOFFERS. CHECK EVERYTHING.

Jan Oostrom

Rotterdam

Holland

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 12:07 PM

Hello ,i also received a job over from Captain Jack Bello ,asking me to join them for the first week in Feb and to mail the travelling consultant straight away for details needed I did answer to Capt JACK ,but knew this couldnt be for real Who on earth gives you a job in this way these days .I hope everyone else pays attention to mail they are sent by strange companys and follow your gut instincts in some cases Dragan Smircic

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:46 AM

Hi .. I have recieved an email about a job offer and want to check the IP address is traceable. I have read the notes above in the first blog of this scam but cannot workout how to do it..

The emails I recieve are in gmail and im not sure what the header of the email is to source the IP address for the person who sent the email?

Someone please help me..

I appreciate your help.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:59 PM

Hi, the only thing I can advise you on a job offer is always check by google the adress, the telephone number, the names of the captain, their home based port and their company´s name. Like I reported before, I´ve got an email with a good looking job offer from CTG Group. They wrote that their office was based in Regent Street in downtown London. I checked by google their given adress and their company name. I got a lot of companies on that street, but none of them were called the CTG Group. It was a fake. What I just can advise you is to check everything.

Good luck

Jan Oostrom

Rotterdam

Holland

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:03 PM
hi i also received an email from jack bello saying he had a job for me and i had to be there 1st week of febuary and he offerd to pay for  more then half of my ticket over there from new zealand i thought it was a  bit odd to get a job that easy and he offerd me assistant captian job when he looked at my c.v and i have no qualifications to drive a boat also he gave me a phone number and each time i tried to phone him  kept hanging up on me lucky i searched for him before i went any further and found this thank you so  much for giving me the heads up so people i guess beaware what you get from jack bello.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 2:07 PM
I've got email from Capt. Steve Willy. Do anybody heard about him? He don't want to any processing fee but only I contact with his agent. Do you think it's a fake?

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 7:18 AM

Hi, just check everything. When they say that it´s a yachtclub in Bridlington UK, it´s a fake for sure.

Jan Oostrom

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, February 1, 2009 8:57 PM
Hey guys just to let you know of a new one.  It from so called Captain Scott Bright of PRINCESS LUCIA-Luxury Motor Yacht, and yet again in Essex hahaha.  Just beware people!!

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2009 7:16 AM
I received the following email today and at first I was excited until I researched a bit. Thank you for the heads up. Thanks for your mail and your kind response. I feel you are more than capable of not only working with us we need a responsible person that have good influencing and good attitude. We have a total of 13 yacht. 7 new ones. This is the reason why we are seeking for more crew members. You should tell me where you're fit in. We still have vacancy for assistant captain, engineer, chef babysitting and so on. I believe you are the right person for the job and i want to assure you that you will not regret working with us, we shall treat you as one of our family. You know U.K is a very Large country where everyone will like to visit.There is so much for you to achieve here in U.K. You should be interested in working with us, because we are a private own yacht, the salary range starting from 2,500 sterling pound depending on your post every month Saturdays and Sundays is your off day. You should be responsible, able to maintain a consistent schedule with my crew, have a loving attitude and patience, along with high energy.You should be a self-starter with a sense of humor and maturity.You need to be tolerant and understanding. Above all, you need to have a true interest in the job you are employ to do full time. I want to point our something clear here, because we have a place where all the crew member resides. If you prefer living out let me know so that preparation can be made before your arrival. If you want to live out your bedroom is on a separate floor from the flat so you'll have your own privacy. Its includes bathroom and private bedroom with cable, internet, laptop, and DVD/VCR. It's important that you are happy and comfortable in our home. Do you have the necessary papers needed for you to travel to U.K.if not i will recommend you to travel consultant that will assist you to get the necessary document because without the document ...they would not allow you to enter U.K. They assist my company in processing visas for staffs, work permit, tax clearance and all related documents to their foreign employers . kindly contact and let them know that you've been offered a job here in U.K are from by Bridlington Yacht Club, explain to them all you need for traveling to U.K. Below is the information of my Travel Consultant: Contact Person : Mr Mark Gordon Contact email: ukembassyvisaprocessing@mail.com Hope to hear from you again Best Regards Capt Johnson Smith
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2009 1:35 PM
Dear 
Thanks for your mail and your kind response. I was glancing through your resume. I have also submitted your resume to my boss. after careful study of your C.V, My Boss  was very happy with your skill of specialization. So therefore we feel you are more than capable of not only working with us we need a responsible person that have good influencing and good attitude. We have a total of 13 Yacht, 7 new ones. This is the reason why we are seeking for more crew members. You should tell me where you're fit in. We still have vacancy for assistant captain, engineer, and chef babysitting and so on. I believe you are the right person for the job and i want to assure you that you will not regret working with us, we shall treat you as one of our family.How ever for you we have decided to appoint you to  take the post of Customer Service.

You know U.K is a very large country where everyone will like to visit. There is so much for you to achieve here when you work with us. you will meet different faces of people and difference race of life.  You should be interested in working with us, because we are a private own yacht, the salary range starting from 1.500 sterling pound depending on your field of specialization .You should be responsible, able to maintain a consistent schedule with my crew, have a loving attitude and patience, along with high energy. You should be a self-starter with a sense of humor and maturity. You need to be tolerant and understanding. Above all, you need to have a true interest in the job you are employ to do full time.
ENTITLEMENT, BENEFITS AND PACKAGES; A very attractive salary paid in GBP ,US $,Sterling or Euros equivalent depending on employee home country and currency preference with annual salary review.  Quality private bedroom with cable, internet, laptop, and DVD/VCR, Free medical/dental care for all our crew .Maximum security on board. It's important that you are happy and comfortable while working with us. Do you have the necessary papers needed for you to travel to U.K. if not i will recommend you to travel consultant that will assist you to get the necessary document because without the document ...they would not allow you to enter U.K. They assist my company in processing visas for staffs, work permit, tax clearance and all related documents to their foreign employers. Kindly contact and let them know that you've been offered a job from CTG Group London, explain to them all you need for traveling to U.K.
Below is the information of my Travel Consultant:
Contact Person : Mr Jonathan Mark
Contact email: Travelagency12008@live.com
Now that you have been appointed to work with us..You have to act fast to obtain the post that has been assign for you..Knowing too well that we have so many crew looking for this position.but i want to let you know that  since you are the first person to grab hold of it .. We  are going to secure the post till when you arrive. The contract is for  3years  and the tour of  duty from   Essex London to Ireland Belgium and Norway.
Note your monthly salary is 3,200 Sterling Pounds and If you are able to perform your task very  well, we can  talk on promoting you.

Best Regards
Capt Terry Smith
CTG Group London
201-203 Regent Street
London W1R 7DD
United Kingdom.
BEWARE THIS IS A SCAM
--

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2009 6:24 PM

I just want to say that indeed the last two replys are indeed a scam. I got a lot of job offers by these people. They change their names constantly, only the emails stays the same. So people who are looking for work like me, PLEASE BE CAREFULL.

Jan Oostrom

Rotterdam

The Netherlands

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2009 7:45 PM

heres is one i just got, they also sent me another email for an agency for a visa......SCAM!

Dear Bryan,

Thanks for your mail and your kind response. I was glancing through your resume. I have also submitted your resume to my boss, after careful study of your C.V, My Boss  was very happy with your skill of specialization. So therefore we feel you are more than capable of not only working with us we need a responsible person that have good influencing and good attitude. We have a total of 14 Yacht, 8 new ones. This is the reason why we are seeking for more crew members. You should tell me where you're fit in. We still have vacancy for assistant captain, engineer, and chef babysitting and so on. I believe you are the right person for the job and i want to assure you that you will not regret working with us. How ever for you we have decided to appoint you to  take any post of of your choice.

You know U.K is a very large country where everyone will like to visit. There is so much for you to achieve here when you work with us. you will meet different faces of people and difference race of life.  You should be interested in working with us, because we are a private own yacht, the salary range starts from £2,100GBP depending on your field of specialization .You should be responsible, able to maintain a consistent schedule with my crew, have a loving attitude and patience, along with high energy. You should be a self-starter with a skill of humor and maturity. You need to be tolerant and understanding. Above all, you need to have a true interest in the job you had been offered with your full time and concentration.

ENTITLEMENT, BENEFITS AND PACKAGES; A very attractive salary paid in GBP ,US $,Sterling or Euros equivalent depending on employee home country and currency preference with annual salary review.  Quality private bedroom with cable, internet, laptop, and DVD/VCR, Free medical/dental care for all our crew .Maximum security on board. It's important that you are happy and comfortable while working with us.

Note: Remember that, as Chief Officer Engineer or Skipper/Captian position, your monthly salary starting from (£7,500 Pounds) or more regarding the Certificate holder as your goal and also If you are able to perform your task very well, the company can intends promoting you. Please kindly inform us of when you are coming over so that we can arrange for your arrival. Because I have already informed our other crew member about you and they said... YOU ARE WELCOM"

Capacity/Size of yact
Displacement with ship: 70 t 154350 lbs. Height from keel to roll bar: 7.80 m 25 ft 7 in. Fuel tanks capacity with optional tanks: 9000 L 2378 US gals

Nirvana takes advantage of a large fly bridge sailing yacht experience but has an ... the ceilings are alternating surfaces covered with big slats in light ... Fuel tank capacity : 37.000 litres. Fuel daytank capacity : 2.580 litres ...

big yachts is Blohm +Voss

Bilge water separator: Nelson 96504B, type Bilge Boy, capacity: 500 l/hr. Power Supply. Power supply for the yacht is provided by two Kohler three-phase

Don't hesitate to write or contact me through e-mail or phone call here , if you have any problem, hopefully to always be of help to you most in difficult situation.

Hope to hear from you again

Best Regards
Captain Robert K.
+447035950918

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2009 12:26 AM

hı everyone,

this is one of them.....do not trust...fake...

Capt Nolan (mail: nolansmith111@hotmail.com ) :

Hello,
      How are you doing, My name is Capt Nolan Smith, I work with Bridlington
Yatch club in the United Kingdom. We need yatch crews so
I was going through profiles on (www.jobsonluxuryyachts.com) and i came across
your profile and i decided to contact you..
i will want to know if you are interested in the job offer..
Kindly get back to me if you are interested
I await your urgent response
Kind Regards
Capt Norlan

JakeG
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2009 4:46 PM

Finally a worth-while topic. Bravo for sharing this information!
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 6, 2009 7:50 AM
 New Scam:

We applied to a job on the Mariana to a Captain Brian Hunt. Salary was 3200 sterling every three weeks. We found the job through an email that came to us - certainly as a result of a crawler going through the submissions on CrewFile.

Anyway, same old, same old. Our email to them resulted in a request for CV, which had already been provided, but asked for with really horrible English - meaning written by someone who doesn't have English as a first language.

We've advised CrewFinders.....

CrewFinders might consider doing a much better job vetting the supposed employers who post to that site... CrewFinders' credibilty as a reliable place to find work is diminishing daily.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 6, 2009 9:31 AM
Hi, Just got an email from capt.steve willy. Old "captain" on princess lucia yacht uk. tried to get me in touch with global.travelagent@europe.com. dunno how to find his ip address but must be a scam. offering 3500 sterling pounds every three weeks but cant seem to tell me his boats name or what possition i would be working as. so dont go giving any info to steve willy...
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 6, 2009 4:38 PM

I too have received an e-mail that I was unhappy with, thanks for everybody's input because it has confirmed my substitutions. Here it is to help others:

Hello,
I am Cap. Judy from the United Kingdom and i am 38 years of age i have one lovely yacht, i want a very nice and experience sailor to take good care of them, i am a single father and a very busy person ever since the divorce between i and their mother,
 i am doing this cos i want to be able to see my ship when ever am back from the office,
 i will be paying you 800 pounds per week and you don't have to worry about where to
 stay cos you will be staying with us in my house, i live alone in a very big house,
 please let me know if this is okay by you,

Please reply me asap.

Captain Judy

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:43 PM

Here's another one, boys and girls:

Dear Sir,
My name is Capt. Trevor Giggs, 36 Years Old from United Kingdom. I
work with Kay's Yacht Club in United Kingdom. I came across your
profile on and decided to mail to ask if you'll be interested in the
job.
Its a private own yacht, and the destination is always from Essex
London to Ireland and Norway.
The monthly salary will be 4,000 sterling pound every three weeks,
accommodation will be provided by the company.

Hope to hear from you soonest Best Regards

Capt. Trevor Giggs

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 7, 2009 5:15 PM

FYI I got a few of the same or similar emails the past few days, and don't even know where they got my contact info from. It may be from a year or so ago when I posted a resume online. One thing for sure, they need some spelling classes. Thanks for bringing this topic to everyone's attention and helping to prevent the scams.

JLR

Hello

My name is Cap. Judy,32 Years Old from United Kingdom and we are looking for a yatch crew who will like to work for us, our contact address is 11 Chiswick Tce, Acton Lane London London, W4 W4 5LY. and has for where you will be stay, You will have your Private Room which will have Bathroom, Toilet, Television, Air-Conditional. You will have access to the Internet and a Telephone at home to get in touch with your friends and loved ones. You will be having Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays as your off days, so to enable you have enough time for yourself. so as for your salary, we will be paying you 1,500 Pounds every 4 weeks and a pocket fee of 400 Pounds. so please let us know your full interest in this job alright.

Captain Judy.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 7, 2009 5:17 PM

sorry the email address did not copy in the paste...here it is. This one is also a scam.

JBaccas@comcast.net

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, February 8, 2009 3:28 AM

hi guys

i am working on a 48m yacht and know the idustry well, i just recived an email offering me a job with a last copment saying see you soonest. dont reply to any one who leaves with that and think realisticly when it comes to the pay 1. if they say they are goin to pay you every 3 weeks its a con 2if they say they will pay a over the top ammount i would say nighnty percent its a load of shite. i had emails like this before from an email adresss. jay442@aol.com a long time ago when i was desparate for a job i replied to his email. he was offering 5000 usd per month i even got to interview with him in fort lauderdale it turned out to be a complete trap he was an overweght homersexuall preing on peole looking for work so he can get them into his enviroment and seduce them one to evoid. i have met  11 other people that think they will be workin on  M.Y. Bagpiper if it is really being built it will make my day. think some more before you reply to job offers.

palma is dry for work right now.

good luck every one looking for work it is tuff with the current situation.

AD

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, February 8, 2009 6:05 AM
The same thing happened to me just yesterday with similar names described in post. Said that we were confirmed the jobs and so on. Apparently he is still on crew file under a different name because I emailed the fake Captain just yesterday...
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, February 9, 2009 10:27 AM
one more...............this is scam Capt.James Kevin (mail: james_kevinct@yahoo.com ) : Hello, My name is Capt James Kevin, 50 Years Old from United Kingdom,resides in London United Kingdom and My contact address is 51 Caledon Road Tce,East Ham London, E6 3HB . I work with PRINCESS MARIANA - Luxury Motor Yacht in United Kingdom.We are seeking applicants to work on the new year-round UNITED KINGDOM flagged Passenger ship. Its a private own yacht,The monthly salary will be 4,000 sterling pound every month end for salaries and 300 pounds for your pocket fees every week end, accommodation will be provided by the company. Hope to hear from you soonest. Best Regards . Capt James Kevin
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:42 AM
Thought i give you a heads up here is what i received after Captain Terry Smith's -

Nolan (mail: nolansmith111@hotmail.com ) :

Hello,
How are you doing, My name is Capt Nolan Smith, I work with Bridlington Yatch club in the United Kingdom. We need yatch crews so I was going through profiles on (www.jobsonluxuryyachts.com) and i came across your profile and i decided to contact you...
i will want to know if you are interested in the job offer..
Kindly get back to me if you are interested I await your urgent response Kind Regards Capt Nolan
interesting they cant spell Yacht!.

I mentioned to captain terry smith i am British so i dont need to call the agency, yet they still persisted and had no more emails after mentioning i can provide a reference from a police officer!

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:03 PM
I recieved same emails from Nolan Smith and also another company called Mediterranean Shipping asking to send money for work permits and visasI have reported all e.mails to fraud.alert@met.police.uk
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:45 PM
It seems that we (M/Y Princess Mariana) have been dragged into this too (see copy of email below). I also received a call from a young lady today asking for the captain of PM, Capt. Tom Cruise, as she had been offered a job aboard and needed some information for her visa application. It seems that this guy is scamming new crew for yacht, cruise ships and hotels into sending them money for the air ticket to their " new job".

Please know that M/Y Princess Mariana only uses well known and reputable crew agents. If you get offered a job by someone suspicious, please feel free to contact me to verfy if they are legitimate.

Regards
Capt. Mike O'Neill
M/Y Princess Mariana
captain @ princessmariana .com   (no spaces)

FAKE EMAIL:

Date: 10 February 2009 5:02:02 AM
To: Undisclosed recipients: ;
Subject: EXPERIENCE CREW NEEDED URGENT
Reply-To: capt.brianhunt@live.com

Hello,
My name is Capt.Brian Hunt, 38 Years Old from United Kingdom,I work with PRINCESS MARIANA - Luxury Motor Yacht in United Kingdom.
We are seeking applicants to work on the New Year-round UNITED KINGDOM flagged Passenger ship, Its a private own yacht.
The monthly salary will be £7,500 pound sterling every three weeks, accommodation will be provided by the company.
Please contact urgent to know you preferred post so we can get to fix you with one of our Mariana Yacht.
 Hope to hear from you soonest,
 Best Regards Capt.
 Brian Hunt.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:41 PM

Again... I also received an email from "Jerry Scott (jerryscot@hotmail.com) Chief Recruiter of Agency for the Princess Mariana."

Unfortunately I sent through my passport, he send me back an Appointment Letter and Contract. They will do all necessary Visa paperwork. I then Google d  there agency name (Agency Central) to then realized that  it's a web page for alot of different agencies. I could not find anything that was not suspicious! I emailed "Jerry" asking to tell me more about the ship, where's it currently alongside, private or charter vessel, locations she's sailing to, about accommodation, etc. And for the adress of website for the recruitment angency his working for.  
LOL, this was his reply:

"Thanks for the mails,The company deals with different company around the world i we can be call to delivers to any part of the world,its a private.the accommodation is provided  but in London and where ever you are.the website is under construction.

Thanks hope to from you soon.

Jerry Scott"

Case closed.

aeronautic1
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:41 PM

Here is another assclown from Nigeria:

Hello,

My name is Capt. Walter Lampard, 50 Years Old from United Kingdom,resides in London United Kingdom and My contact address is  51 Caledon Road Tce,East Ham London, E6 3HB and my phone number is +447024079363. I work with Queen Of Diamond - Luxury Motor Yacht in United Kingdom.We are seeking applicants to work on the new year-round UNITED KINGDOM flagged Passenger ship. Its a private own yacht,The monthly salary will be 2,500 sterling pound every month end for salaries and 300 pounds for your pocket fees every week end, accommodation will be provided by the company. Hope to hear from you soonest.
Best Regards Capt.
Walter Lampard

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 8:02 PM

Warning!!!!

capt.brianhunt@live.com

capt.brianhunt@verizon.net

Hello,
My name is Capt.Brian Hunt, 38 Years Old from United Kingdom,I work with PRINCESS MARIANA - Luxury Motor Yacht in United Kingdom.
We are seeking applicants to work on the New Year-round UNITED KINGDOM flagged Passenger ship, Its a private own yacht.
The monthly salary will be £7,500 pound sterling every three weeks, accommodation will be provided by the company.
Please contact urgent to know you preferred post so we can get to fix you with one of our Mariana Yacht.
 Hope to hear from you soonest,
 Best Regards Capt.
 Brian Hunt.

Name:-  kelvin Olodu
Address:- 80 Borough Road
City:- London
State:- London
Zipcode:- SE1 1DN

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 1:19 PM
With all these replies about the scams by the fake Captains why is there not anything that is being done by the necessary authorities to arrest these individuals and prevent persons from being taken for a ride.

Is there a website where we can post or even relevant authorities that can be contacted to prevent this.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 6:39 PM
I got an email from capt. brian hunt, on the princess mariana, offering 7500 pounds sterling and this is a scam!  The travel consultant asked to be billed by western union and the emails were vague and had poor spelling and grammer.  I called my contact in the industry and she confirmed that the boat was not in london.  The itenerary was essex ireland belgium and norway.  SCAM!!! Be aware
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 8:04 PM
try this out, does it sound like you heard it before

Hello Crew, My name is Capt. Bryan Silver from United Kingdom. I work with Amble Boat Company,the Boatyard Croquet Street,Amble,NE65 0DJ Northumberland London in United Kingdom. I came across your profile on and decided to mail to ask if you'll be interested in the job.Its a private own yacht, and the destination is always from Northumberland London to France,Ireland and Norway. and the accommodation will be provided by the company.Hope to hear from you soonest Best Regards Capt. Bryan

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 2:59 AM
NIGERIAN STOP ALL SHIT TRY AND GET JOB....02 STOP ITS AUSTIN JOHN LOL..
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:48 AM
I got one from R Bridlington Yacht CLub in UK from Capt RObert Ken. What a hoax . That really pissed me off.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 6:37 PM
Folks, watch out! There are lots of scammers (especially Nigerians, who are based either in their native Nigeria or in the UK) who pretend to act as shipping agencies or pretend to be oil companies HR reps, crew managers of various agencies, and so forth.

Never pay money upfront and never disclose your personal details to anyone!!!

Here is some excellent advice copy and paste from here http://www.oil-offshore-marine.com/bewarejobscams.php

The common sense rule: when something is too good to be true, then it most probably is NOT true. Remember this and you will be just fine.

1. What is a job scam? Also known as Advance Fee Fraud or 419 Fraud.
2. How do the scammers act?
3. What should you do to protect yourself?
4. How to tell if a recruiter/employer is real, genuine and in good faith?
5. Ways to discover if a job offer made to you is real or scam.
6. What to do if you encounter a job scam.
7. Partial list of job scammers, fake companies, and known charlatans.
8. List of worldwide companies whose names were used in job scams, fake job offers, fraud, spoofing, spamming, and phishing.

1. What is a job scam? Also known as Advance Fee Fraud or 419 Fraud.

Answers: First of all, what is a job scam? Probably most of you already know the answer, but for those who don't, here is an explanation: a job scam is a form of FRAUD where certain persons (scammers), posing as recruiters (agencies) or as employers offer really attractive employment opportunities (which seem too good to be true); subsequently, the jobseeker (candidate looking for a good job) is required to pay them [the scammers] money in advance, usually under the guise of work visas, air travel expenses, and out-of-pocket expenses. Usually, the job scam form is called Advance Fee Fraud or 419 Fraud.

Top^

2. How do the scammers act?

Answers: A scammer attempts to gain his victim's [the victim is the jobseeker] confidence in order to extract personal information such as full name, bank account details, credit card details, PayPal information, Social Security Number (SSN), driver's license, birth date, home address, or any other personal data.

Top^

3. What should you do to protect yourself?

Answers: It's easy. Never disclose, by email or telephone, to people whom you don't know, your personal data such as: - full name - bank account details - credit card information - PayPal information - Social Security Number (SSN) - driver's license - birth date - home address

Top^

4. How to tell if a recruiter/employer is real, genuine and in good faith?

Answers: You can try one or more of the below options:

a) Look at the company name. Is it saying anything to you? Have you heard of it before?
b) Does the domain name match the name of the company?
c) Ask your friends and colleagues if they heard of that company.
d) Google it. Yahoo it. MSN it. Run a search and see if the same company has been involved in job scams or if other people say that company has been scamming others.
e) See what country that company pretends to be working in. Then call or email the Embassy of that particular country and ask them if they know anything of it.
f) Ask that company if you need to pay anything in exchange for their service. If first they say no and then, after some time, say you must pay for visa, work permit or for travel, it's a fake company and behind it are job scammers!
g) Ask that company to provide you copies of their incorporation certificate or proofs of Government registration, or VAT number.
h) And finally, be advised that most fake companies acting as scammers "offer" scam jobs in areas such as Africa (Nigeria being the most famous case), Middle East, Asia, even South America. To a much smaller extent, even US or Western Europe.

Remember! We provide a FREE Checking System: if you get a job offer that sounds too good to be true, please email us at info[at]oil-offshore-marine.com and we will investigate and check if that job offer is a scam or not, and if the job offer was made by a real, good-faith, company.

Top^

5. Ways to discover if a job offer made to you is real or scam.

Answers: There are several methods you can use to determine whether a recruiter or employer is real, and acting in good faith. Generally speaking, if you are made a job offer by a company to whom you never applied before and, still, they make you a job offer without even having interviewed you, that is a clear job scam. But let's see some possible scenarios:

a) First of all, look at the web address from which the pretended recruiter or employer send the email. For instance, let's you get an email from "Shell UK ", but when you look in the From: field, you see this "Shell UK" - "shelluk@yahoo.com". If this is the case, it is clearly a job scam. Why? Because real companies, acting in good faith never use free email providers (such as Yahoo!, AOL, MSN, GMAIL and so forth).
b) Second, let's say you get an email from a so called Xaturnico Oil Company. The email comes from "Xaturnico" - "career@xaturnico.com". So far so good, there are high chances that the company exists, and the domain name (xaturnico.com) matches the company's name, Xaturnico. Also, the domain xaturnico.com is valid, working, uploaded on hosting and the company has a web presence (no "currently under construction" appears). Now you need to dig further - read the email, see what they are saying. If they use fancy words, and make you a job offer with a very high salary comparing to your current salary or to the market rates, or if they are asking for an advance payment (either by PayPal, check, wire transfer or other form), or if they are asking you to forward them any personal information (such as credit card information, bank account details, etc), that is a job scam! DO NOT send them any payment, and do not provide them with any personal information.
c) Third, let's assume you get an email fro Wakutty Oil. The email comes from "Wakutty Oil" - "recruitment@wakutty.com". There are high chances that the company exists, and the domain name (wakutty.com) matches the company's name, Wakutty. Also, the domain wakutty.com is valid, working, uploaded on hosting and the company has a web presence (no "currently under construction" appears). They are rather smooth, they don't ask anything from you, you exchange emails with them, everything is ok, then, after 2 weeks (or, if they are very patient, after 2 months), they suddenly say they need an advance payment (either by Paypal, check, wire transfer or other form), or they are asking you to forward them your personal information (such as credit card information, bank account details, etc), that is, yes, a job scam. DO NOT send them any payment, and do not provide them with any personal information.
d) In order to gain your trust, these scammers / fake companies might even say they need your medical information, previous employment status, and so forth. Do not disclose this information to anyone you do not know and whom you cannot check (either in person or by official ways).
e) There are other scenarios we have yet to hear of. Stay cautious! Email us if you hear of anything new, so we can put it here and benefit others.

Remember! We provide a FREE Checking System: if you get a job offer that sounds too good to be true, please email us at info[at]oil-offshore-marine.com and we will investigate and check if that job offer is a scam or not, and if the job offer was made by a real, good-faith, company.

Top^

6. What to do if you encounter a job scam.

Answers:
a) Do NOT reply to the email.
b) Do NOT reply to the email; once you reply, even to tell the sender you are not interested, they will keep emailing you.
c) Do NOT disclose any personal information to anyone.
d) Do NOT send money to anyone.
e) Send us information regarding that company/scammer so that we can add it to the list of job scammers & fake companies (see below).

And just look how many scammers they've listed!!! http://www.oil-offshore-marine.com/bewarejobscams.php#7

Unbelievable!!!

Average 4.5 out of 5