Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Visa to work on American Yacht as a Canadian ?
Val
Posted: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 2:39 PM

November 5th, 2008

I am contacting you regarding any information you have on what I need, as a Canadian to work on an American flagged yacht.  From my understanding I need a B1 visa, or do I need something different.  I have been offered a job and the owners have agreed to sponsor me if that helps.  The yacht spends 8 months in the states and the rest normally in the Caribbean, during the year.
Any info ?

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2009 4:14 AM
If you are working on a American flag yacht in the states you are working illegally. If  you are living in the states 6 months or more your residents is here which is illegal. When you are caught any visa you have will be taken away and you will be banned for a minuim of 5 years from entrance into the USA for any reason. The owner is risking the boat,  fines and jail time by hiring you.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2009 8:26 AM
Chill Canadian.  South of the border  we like you guys.  Plenty of Canadians running yachts.  Best to get in touch with these Canadians and have a gab so that they can tell you all the Canadian secret weapons.  Ive seen many captains....signed on as a household domestic servant...student exchange program while they work on their super mega ticket collection.....   you name it....nothing stops the Canadians.  You must naturally be in contact with an Owner that thinks your the man.   Look around the West Coast and New England...down south in Florida they have something bad in the water, makes people go crazy .  And best to stay with  sailing yachts, the Florida gang gets seasick easily and it takes two to figure out which way the wind in blowing so they cant run sailing yachts.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2009 9:16 AM
Anonymous wrote:
If you are working on a American flag yacht in the states you are working illegally. If  you are living in the states 6 months or more your residents is here which is illegal. When you are caught any visa you have will be taken away and you will be banned for a minuim of 5 years from entrance into the USA for any reason. The owner is risking the boat,  fines and jail time by hiring you.

SOOO uptight.  And you ask why people don't hire 'Ricans? 
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2009 10:18 AM
Imagine threatening this young Canadian  by using illegal and jail  in the same paragraph.  Very sad.   Stand down whoever you are, this is the wrong world for you. 
 And  Best of luck Canadian, if you ever come around my yacht I will protect and show you the way to dance
Kate
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2009 1:45 PM

Hi,

Canadians can get a work visa for the U.S. if your job is one of the professions listed for the Treaty National visa. The best part is the visa only takes one day. 

Good luck,

Kate

Maria
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2009 7:53 PM

US govt. Web info for Canadian North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) professional workers: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1274.html

TN Visas - NAFTA list of professions:  http://foreignborn.com/visas_imm/other_visas/8tn_visas_nafta.htm#nafta

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:09 PM

Hello every one,

I'm a Canadian with a possible engineering position on board a foreign flagged S/Y. This yacht is in desperate need of a refit below deck. The refit will take +- 9 months and will be performed in Florida. Can I work on board legally and tax free? If not, please inform me what I need to do? Thanks

Average 0 out of 5