Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Tracking Down a Croatian Cocktail
JamesButler
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:28 PM

With so many members now online maybe someone knows the answer to this.

A few years ago I had what can only be described as my ultimate cocktail in my ultimate setting. I was on a flotilla from Split for two weeks and pulled into this amazing harbour. The sort where you moor stern to against a cobbled wall and end up spending two hours in the morning discussing with fellow sailors who has to leave first so your anchor lines don't get muddled.

That evening we walked up into the hills to a little rustic bar with vines hanging down from the padoga and deep cushions on the old wall for seats. The sort of place you would never find unless you were told about it.

The owner, a lady in her 80's came over to our group and taking one look at us went away and came back with our own personal cocktails. Either they were all delicious or she had a gift. My cocktail was called a White Russian but although I've tried these since, nothing came close. It was a bit like a Long Island Iced Tea with the non alcoholic items replaced by double cream. Maybe she saw my wasteline.

We were then given the opportunity to name the ingredients and if we could guess all, we got the drink free. I doubt she has given a free drink away even now.

Anyyone know where the bar is, what the drink was... I think it was in HVAR but threw my diary away a long time ago..

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 11:26 AM
There are possibilities here:  Have you tried the Russian Quaalude?  Stoli-Frangelico-Baileys....what she may have done is bufff it with Double creme to finish...try that or. This recipe is great: Stoli-Kahlua-Baileys-Frangelio-Gran Marnier, and Chambord Shaken with double creme.....YAHOOOOOOO!  Awesome. Any combination of these with double creme (half and half and not fat free pleeeease!) Remember fat is flavor and if you use skim or 1% milk....well you get the picture.....what is the point!
Tom "freddie" Axton
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2008 9:10 PM

Trying a standard White Russian with the Stoli sounds like your best bet, although I did once have a white Russian made for me in Hungary using a half and half made with condensed milk...Honestly, I haven’t tried it since but it might be that little local flavour you've been missing!

Average 0 out of 5