Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Forum


In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Tickets needed
Posted: Sunday, August 3, 2008 6:37 PM
Joined: 02/08/2008
Posts: 6

Hi, looking to come and work a Caribbean season this winter as Deckhand, perhaps bosun. Have years of offshore and inshore sailboat (7k miles as helm/navigator/watchleader and skipper) racing to a high level under my belt, plus 2 years experience in Royal navy reserves, plus 5 years working on passenger ferries. Tons of experience maintaining and repairing Trying to figure out exactly what certs i will need STCW95 ENG1 Instead of PB2 (which i've been meaning to do for years!) would a River Thames BML (boatmasters license) for passenger boats 150pax in CatB waters, plus personal ownership of a speedboat and yacht (30ft not a big one!) prove an ability to handleboats or is PB2 a prereqisite for insurance! Thanks, Myles
Ask Amy
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2008 5:02 PM


This is Amy from MPT in Fort Lauderdale. I think that you are more qualified that some other candidates that apply for positions as deckhands. You should have no problem whatsoever in getting placed on a yacht in the caribbean. As for your PB2 certification, it is a good thing to have this or any equivalent Tender Operator type certificate as some countries require all/most tender operators to be trained/licensed. The PB2 is the most popular course for this purpose and you can obtain it at virtually any RYA school of which there are thousands of centres around the world, however I think that your Boatmasters license would be accepted by most authorities along with your experience as evidence of your ability to operate a tender or motor vessel. Other than that I think the most important certificates for you to have are the STCW95 Basic Safety Training 4 modules without tonnage restrictions so that they are accepted by virtually any flagged yacht.

I wish you the best of luck. Please let me know if I can help you further, .



 Average 3 out of 5