Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Time to grow up?
Izzy
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2008 3:48 AM

Hi, I’m Isabella. I’m a healthy 22-year-old Spanish assistant chef working on a European-based yacht. I’m new to the industry and am still using my universal health plan as a native of Spain. Will this still work if I have a health problem while at sea? Will other countries accept my health plan or is it time to grow up and get my own plan?

MHG Mark B
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2008 8:26 PM

Hello Isabella.  Living in Spain has its advantages, but when it comes to having social health plan coverage when you leave the country, unfortunately that is not one of them.  Regardless if you are at sea, or just visiting another country, your Spanish plan is most likely of no use.  This can be a very hazardous situation even though you may be healthy today, tomorrow is unknown.  You really do need your own plan that covers you worldwide or at least in the areas you will be visiting while sailing.  One quick note, some social medicine plans (I'm not sure about Spain) will disqualify you from being able to participate if you are outside of the country for more than a certain period of time in a year. Enjoy your new career, and be safe out there!

Average 0 out of 5