Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Question
ReaganK16
Posted: Tuesday, July 8, 2008 9:27 PM

Dr. Ken,

Our next charter is taking us to South Africa. I was wondering, what sort of shots or anything do we need to get. Also, what do we need to avoid to stay safe and healthy over there?

Thanks,

Reagan

Dr Ken
Posted: Tuesday, July 8, 2008 11:01 PM

Thanks Reagan - worth looking at www.fco.gov.uk for fine detail on South Africa especially if you are moving about inland at all eg the following is a brief abstract copied and pasted:

TB, rabies, malaria and cholera are common to South Africa.  Malaria is common to Kruger Park and parts of Mpumalanga, Limpopo province and KwaZulu Natal (particularly the Wetlands area around St Lucia).

There are periodic outbreaks of cholera in the poor communities of rural South Africa, especially in Northern KwaZulu Natal, Mpumalanga, and Limpopo provinces. You should drink or use only boiled or bottled water and avoid ice in drinks.  If you suffer from diarrhoea during a visit to South Africa you should seek immediate medical attention.

Hope you have a good and healthy trip

Dr Ken

www.clubdemarmedical.com

Palma de Mallorca

Janine Ketterer
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:20 PM

Dr. Ken and Reagan,

The August issue of Dockwalk includes a feature on disease throughout the world and how to keep yourself safe. If you're going anywhere "exotic" it's definitely worth taking a look at.

Cheers,

Janine  

Dr Ken
Posted: Friday, August 8, 2008 7:44 PM

Thanks for the advance notice Janine - I have now had a chance to read the article and I think Kate Hubert has produced a well-written and comprehensive piece as well as introducing some more helpful websites. I think we shall adapt some of our course material on infectious diseases along these lines!

All the best,

Dr Ken

Average 0 out of 5