Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
SKYPE problems
Izzy
Posted: Saturday, July 5, 2008 6:30 PM

I have a SKYPE account in Spain that lets me speak to friends and family on a regular basis without costing a fortune. However, I've noticed that my SKYPE sometimes will not work when I am on the yacht? Are there "dead zones" for SKYPE out at sea or is it possible that something on our yacht is causing interference? Our engineer says it's not his fault, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks - Izzy

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, July 7, 2008 1:01 AM

Izzy,

Depending on is your broadband provider on board the yacht they most likely have the "port" closed on the VSAT router.  This is a typical practice on board yachts due to Skype requiring such a large amount of bandwidth.  If the yacht is equipped with a VSAT then the NOC "Network Operation Center" would be able to tell you if they are blocking the port or not.  If they show it opened then the Local Area Network ROUTER on board the yacht will most likely have the port blocked.  In this case you need to speak with your network administrator (most of the times it's either the captain or the engineer) to see if they will open it up for you. Good luck

Regards,

Brian W. Coffin

Aquatic Navigation, Inc.

AquaticNav@Gmail.com

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, November 8, 2008 1:38 PM
skype doesnt actually need any incomming ports opened up as the client program connects via an outgoing one which are generally not blocked. If your routers/firewall do block outgoing traffic then switch it to port 21, 25 or even 80 or 443 in the configration pages. 

Average 0 out of 5